> Tips > When you build that first fire, build it safely
When you build that first fire, build it safely
October 15, 2013
As the days and nights grow chilly, wood stoves get fired up. Make sure your is installed correctly, and that burnable items are kept away from it. Make sure your chimney is clean. If your wood is green, take special care to check chimneys and stovepipes to make sure they don't get choked with creosote. Check with your local fire department for more tips on operating wood stoves safely.
Sign up to receive our Daily Safety and Preparedness Tips
- July 21, 2014: Camp securely in a safe tent
- July 20, 2014: Summer sun is warm: make sure it doesn't burn
- July 19, 2014: Hurricane Awareness: Keep your eyes open
- July 18, 2014: Hurricane Awareness: Do you own a boat?
- July 17, 2014: Hurricane Awareness: Floods kill people during hurricanes
- July 16, 2014: Hurricane Awareness: Storm surge is not for surfers
- July 15, 2014: Hurricane Awareness: Is your home at risk?
- July 14, 2014: New England Hurricane Awareness
- July 13, 2014: Make this 13th the Luckiest One so far!
- July 12, 2014: Practice your evacuation route
- July 11, 2014: Life. Unplugged. Ready for three days without power?
- July 10, 2014: Always put campfires out
- July 9, 2014: Are we having a heat wave?
- July 8, 2014: It's hot! Make sure your pets are not.
- July 7, 2014: Check on your neighbors during hot weather
- July 6, 2014: Keep your cool when it's too darn hot!
- July 5, 2014: Use gas grills safely
- July 4, 2014: Make sure it's only the food that gets broiled.
- July 3, 2014: Summer brings barbecues; use grills safely
- July 2, 2014: What's the weather going to be today?
- July 1, 2014: So you think we don't have tornadoes in Maine?
- June 30, 2014: Make sure those alerts keep on coming
- June 29, 2014: On a beautiful day in the neighborhood, prepare for when it's not
- June 28, 2014: Just because you saw it on the Internet doesn't mean it's true
- June 27, 2014: But I didn't know it was going to rain!
- June 26, 2014: When thunder roars, go indoors!
- June 25, 2014: Do a battery inventory
- June 24, 2014: High-tech can protect your pet
- June 23, 2014: Do you know what your workplace emergency plan is?
- June 23, 2014: Sometimes a copy can be the real thing