> Tips > Watch the news, then turn off the TV
Watch the news, then turn off the TV
August 16, 2013
It's very important to stay informed in any emergency. But news coverage, especially for a major disaster like Hurricane Katrina or September 11, can be overwhelming. Children can see film being repeated over and over and think the disaster is still happening. Adults, too, can be affected even to depression by the emotion and pain they see on the screen. Stay informed, then turn off the TV, put down the newspaper, and take your kids out to play in the sunshine.
Sign up to receive our Daily Safety and Preparedness Tips
- July 11, 2014: Life. Unplugged. Ready for three days without power?
- July 10, 2014: Always put campfires out
- July 9, 2014: Are we having a heat wave?
- July 8, 2014: It's hot! Make sure your pets are not.
- July 7, 2014: Check on your neighbors during hot weather
- July 6, 2014: Keep your cool when it's too darn hot!
- July 5, 2014: Use gas grills safely
- July 4, 2014: Make sure it's only the food that gets broiled.
- July 3, 2014: Summer brings barbecues; use grills safely
- July 2, 2014: What's the weather going to be today?
- July 1, 2014: So you think we don't have tornadoes in Maine?
- June 30, 2014: Make sure those alerts keep on coming
- June 29, 2014: On a beautiful day in the neighborhood, prepare for when it's not
- June 28, 2014: Just because you saw it on the Internet doesn't mean it's true
- June 27, 2014: But I didn't know it was going to rain!
- June 26, 2014: When thunder roars, go indoors!
- June 25, 2014: Do a battery inventory
- June 24, 2014: High-tech can protect your pet
- June 23, 2014: Do you know what your workplace emergency plan is?
- June 23, 2014: Sometimes a copy can be the real thing
- June 21, 2014: Put "check-up" dates on your calendar
- June 20, 2014: Charcoal grill? Outside only
- June 19, 2014: Keep a list of freezer contents posted on the freezer door
- June 18, 2014: Can you hear me now?
- June 17, 2014: Trim those trees.
- June 15, 2014: Get a lot of preparedness for a little investment
- June 15, 2014: Learn CPR and First Aid
- June 14, 2014: Lightning kills, play it safe
- June 13, 2014: Start with a list of phone numbers
- June 12, 2014: Don't leave that candle in the window