> Tips > Does your phone work when the power goes out?
Does your phone work when the power goes out?
August 10, 2013
With cordless phones being used more and more, it's easy to forget that they need power to operate. If you have regular phone service, tuck a corded phone in your disaster supply kit. If your only phone is a cell phone, think about how you will keep it charged. And if you've switched to an Internet-based phone, you may want to have a backup plan for power or cable outages.
Sign up to receive our Daily Safety and Preparedness Tips
- July 24, 2014: Watch your watches and warnings
- July 23, 2014: What needs would you or your family have in an emergency?
- July 22, 2014: Keep a copy of important papers outside your home
- July 21, 2014: Camp securely in a safe tent
- July 20, 2014: Summer sun is warm: make sure it doesn't burn
- July 19, 2014: Hurricane Awareness: Keep your eyes open
- July 18, 2014: Hurricane Awareness: Do you own a boat?
- July 17, 2014: Hurricane Awareness: Floods kill people during hurricanes
- July 16, 2014: Hurricane Awareness: Storm surge is not for surfers
- July 15, 2014: Hurricane Awareness: Is your home at risk?
- July 14, 2014: New England Hurricane Awareness
- July 13, 2014: Make this 13th the Luckiest One so far!
- July 12, 2014: Practice your evacuation route
- July 11, 2014: Life. Unplugged. Ready for three days without power?
- July 10, 2014: Always put campfires out
- July 9, 2014: Are we having a heat wave?
- July 8, 2014: It's hot! Make sure your pets are not.
- July 7, 2014: Check on your neighbors during hot weather
- July 6, 2014: Keep your cool when it's too darn hot!
- July 5, 2014: Use gas grills safely
- July 4, 2014: Make sure it's only the food that gets broiled.
- July 3, 2014: Summer brings barbecues; use grills safely
- July 2, 2014: What's the weather going to be today?
- July 1, 2014: So you think we don't have tornadoes in Maine?
- June 30, 2014: Make sure those alerts keep on coming
- June 29, 2014: On a beautiful day in the neighborhood, prepare for when it's not
- June 28, 2014: Just because you saw it on the Internet doesn't mean it's true
- June 27, 2014: But I didn't know it was going to rain!
- June 26, 2014: When thunder roars, go indoors!
- June 25, 2014: Do a battery inventory