The most important thing you can have in any emergency is good information. Knowing what is happening, or what could happen, allows you to make good decisions for yourself and your family.
- Pay attention to what is going on in your community that may threaten your family: severe weather, fires, flooding, etc.
- Pay attention to weather forecasts from your favorite radio or television station, or on the Internet.
- Find out how your town or water district would let you know if there was a local emergency, or a boil water order.
- Consider purchasing a NOAA weather radio in order to receive alerts.
- Alert devices are available for the hearing impaired. Contact the Maine Center on Deafness (207.797.7656 TTY/V) for more information.
- Consider signing up for Maine.gov's Citizen Alert System, to receive e-mail or cell phone notification of State government office closures or alerts issued by State agencies.