Occupational Safety and Health Data Collection and Injury Prevention Work Group

  • April 12, 2006:

Minutes:

Occupational Safety and Health Data Collection and Injury Prevention Work Group

Minutes

Bureau of Labor Standards First Floor Training Room April 19, 2006 10:00 - 11:30 A.M.

Present: William Peabody, Chair (Maine Department of Labor), Peter Doran (Maine Occupational Research Agenda), John Rioux, Vice Chair (Maine Department of Labor), Kim Lim (Maine Department of Labor), Al May (Bureau of Health), Louise Morang (Maine Association of Occupational Nurses), Carol Tompkins (Cannon Cochran Management Services, Inc.), Dave Wacker (Maine Department of Labor), and Leslie Walleigh (Workplace Health).

Absent: Gary Baxter (Maine Employers Mutual Insurance Company), Brian Doe (Hannaford), Brad Brown (Maine Bureau of Insurance), Stephanie Jazlowiecki (McTeague-Higbee), Jeff Levesque (Workers’ Compensation Board), Steve Minkowsky (Workers’ Compensation Board), Vanessa Santarelli (Maine Department of Labor), and Stefanie LaRose (Canon Cochran Management Services, Inc.),

Staff: Terry Hathaway (Maine Department of Labor) & Ted Bradstreet (Maine Department of Labor)

William Peabody, Chair, called the Occupational Safety and Health Data Collection and Injury Prevention Work Group to order at 10:15 A.M.

March 22, 2006 Minutes. After a couple of corrections, Louise Morang made a motion to accept the minutes as amended. John Rioux seconded the motion. Vote, unanimous.

Data & Prevention Subgroups Update.

Data Subgroup – Al May. Al reported that John Rioux will be meeting with the Workers’ Compensation Board regarding rules and data quality. Bill Peabody noted that the Bureau of Labor Standards will seek to negotiate a Service Level Agreement (SLA) with the Workers’ Compensation Board to nail down specifics and have a more formal agreement. It was proposed that the process of handling First Reports will be analyzed by someone outside the agency. The Data Subgroup looked at the Timeline to see who and when can be done and date of completion. Carol will check with other states regarding the M-1 report. Prevention Subgroup. Dave announced that his group developed and refined a set of seven (7) questions for a survey to be sent to companies within Maine regarding what these companies have for safety and health program. Once survey is finished, a letter will be included. The package will be put together by the next work group meeting. The employers included in the survey will be Mod 2 companies and small employers (under 25 employees). A copy of legislation will be included and response will be voluntary.

Timeline – John Rioux. John explained that the Timeline is a way to chart the progress of the work group. There was discussion regarding the communication efforts among groups. After updating the Timeline, John will make the necessary changes and will e-mail out to the group.

Legislative Update – Bill Peabody. Bill spoke about the victims of human trafficking law. Human trafficking has a safety and health impact because immigrant workers have been found working in horrendous conditions. Also, if they get hurt, they are often thrown out with no recourse but to return to their country.

Also, there is a Bill that creates a study group on workplace violence. It has been passed and signed by the Governor. It is a structured group, which includes both State and local law enforcement. The major focus is workplace violence from criminal acts and from co-workers or clients; that is, people being served.

There was a Resolve to make the Department of Environmental Protection promulgate rules for mold clean-up, including personal protection.

The Bill to require OSHA 10-hour training class for all state contractors is “dead”. Bill asked if the Prevention Subgroup wanted to look into this at their next meeting.

Other. Bill asked the work group about presenters. Terry will check with Adam Fisher, Assistant to the Commissioner, Maine Department of Labor, to see if he is willing to come to the next meeting. Bill suggested the new OSHA Area Director. Dave will invite her for a future work group meeting. Peter suggested combining with MORA. Bill suggested that MORA be invited to the work group meeting when the Area Director speaks.

Al spoke about National Vision Month, which is in May. Louise said that they had put a notice in their newsletter. Al, John, Adam, and someone from Safety will meet to see about putting this on the Maine Department of Labor web site.

Bill did announce that the “Legislative Report” was sent to the Department of Health and Human Services Committee. He has not heard back from any of the Committees asking for a presentation. Al suggested that when there are new committee members that we send a copy of previous legislative report as well as the new report. Peter suggested that Beth Edmonds receive a copy of the legislative report and a special cover letter. Bill will check with our legislative analyst.

Louise announced an educational program on pandemic response. Bill stated that last year the Legislature passed rules regarding SARS.

Al mentioned the MEMIC television ads and suggested talking to Gary Baxter and see how the work group can expand on them.

Next Meeting. The next regularly scheduled meeting may be held on Wednesday, May 17, 2006, at 10:00 to 11:30 AM, in the First Floor Training Room. The Data and Prevention Subgroups will meet at 9:00 prior to the work group meeting.

Adjournment. Bill Peabody adjourned the meeting at 11:29 A.M. Respectfully submitted,

Terry M. Hathaway Recording Secretary