Occupational Safety and Health Data Collection and Injury Prevention Work Group

  • January 25, 2006:

Minutes:

Occupational Safety and Health Data Collection and Injury Prevention Work Group

Minutes

Bureau of Labor Standards Third Floor Conference Room January 25, 2006 10:00 - 11:30 A.M.

Present: William Peabody, Chair (Maine Department of Labor), Brad Brown (Maine Bureau of Insurance), Peter Doran (Maine Occupational Research Agenda), John Rioux, Vice Chair (Maine Department of Labor), Patrick Kelley (McTeague-Higbee), Jeff Levesque (Workers’ Compensation Board), Kim Lim (Maine Department of Labor), Al May (Bureau of Health), Louise Morang (Maine Association of Occupational Nurses), John Rioux (Maine Department of Labor), Carol Tompkins (Cannon Cochran Management Services, Inc.), Dave Wacker (Maine Department of Labor), and Leslie Walleigh (Workplace Health).

Absent: Gary Baxter (Maine Employers Mutual Insurance Company), Brian Doe (Hannaford), Stephanie Jazlowiecki (McTeague-Higbee), Steve Minkowsky (Workers’ Compensation Board), Vanessa Santarelli (Maine Department of Labor), and Stefanie LaRose (Canon Cochran Management Services, Inc.)

Staff: Terry Hathaway (Maine Department of Labor) & Ted Bradstreet (Maine Department of Labor)

The December 21, 2005 meeting of the Occupational Safety and Health Data Collection and Injury Prevention Work Group was cancelled.

The January meeting, which would have been held on Wednesday, January 18, 2006, was postponed to January 25th due to inclement weather.

William Peabody, Chair, called the Occupational Safety and Health Data Collection and Injury Prevention Work Group to order at 10:05 A.M.

Introductions were made as Patrick Kelly (McTeague-Higbee & Ann Beaulieu (Maine Bureau of Labor Standards) were present.

November 16, 2005 Minutes. After a correction on page 3, line 10 for clarification, Peter Doran made a motion to approve the minutes with corrections. The motion was seconded. Vote, unanimous.

Report to Legislature – Bill Peabody. A draft of the Report to the Legislature was handed out marked up to show changes. The work group then suggested more changes. Bill will make the changes and the report will be printed and distributed to the Labor and Insurance Committees. Bill stated that the Legislative Report was approved by the Commissioner’s office on Monday, January 23rd.

Peter Doran suggested the report be transmitted to MORA. Bill said he thought that MORA had received the marked-up copy.

Leslie Walleigh suggested the Report to Legislature be submitted not only to the Labor Committee, but to the Health and Human Services Committee. Bill also said the report would be sent to the Legislative leadership as well. Peter suggested a cover letter stating the work group’s expectations as this is not the final report.

After the Legislature receives the report, it will be sent to work group members and MORA members by mail.

Data & Prevention Subgroups Update – Al May. The Data and Prevention Subgroups met jointly prior to the work group meeting. The subgroups discussed the pluses and minuses of Workers’ Compensation forms. A subcommittee will be created to review the forms and make them more useful. John informed the work group that the rules have not been modified to accommodate EDI. Jeff explained that the standards on manual reporting are different from the two EDI systems - the proprietary and Release III standards. He asked if Paul Fortier had engaged the Bureau of Labor Standards’ research staff. John told him no. Jeff encourages the Bureau to address the data issues to Paul Fortier, Paul Dionne, and Steve Minkowsky. There is a problem with “return to work” dates being entered with the electronic system and the use of call centers.

Planning the Year – John Rioux. John suggested that the work group list what it needs to do by brainstorming. The group needs to decide what is to be accomplished by the end of the year and what needs to be done to get there. Leslie suggested reviewing the mandate. A copy of the legislative mandate was handed out for members to review. The work group brainstormed. The group came up with a plan, which is attached. The plan will be typed up and distributed to the work group for review via e-mail by Terry. This will be an agenda item for the next meeting.

V. Other – Jeff Levesque. Jeff said that Ann Beaulieu of the Research and Statistics Unit, Bureau of Labor Standards, has found some internal issues with EDI of First Reports. He handed out a paper on the “Impact of Incorrect EDI Submission on Data Quality”. John will meet with Paul Fortier, Jeff Levesque, and Steve Minkowsky for identification of problems with this system.

Next Meeting. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, February 15, 2006, at 10:00 to 11:30 AM, in the First Floor Training Room. The Data and Prevention Subgroups will meet at 9:00 prior to the work group meeting.

Adjournment. Bill Peabody adjourned the meeting at 11:40 AM.

Respectfully submitted,

Terry M. Hathaway Recording Secretary