ADMINISTRATIVE LETTER: 2
POLICY CODE: KLL/DIC
TO: Superintendents of Schools
FROM: Susan A. Gendron, Commissioner
DATE: August 17, 2006
RE: Accounting and Reporting Requirements
In preparation for 2007-08 funding and implementation of the MEDMS Financial Module, the following instructions are to ensure that all data for the calculation of 2007-08 funding is submitted in a timely and accurate manner and to ensure that school administrative units are prepared for future budgets information submissions and actual financial information submissions based on the Revised Accounting Handbook and Model Chart of Accounts.
Reporting Deadlines – A schedule of due dates is available on the Department of Education Reporting Forms website for those reports that impact the calculation of State subsidy for 2007-08. This includes reporting for staff, student and financial data. Two report deadlines included are the initial report due date and the final date for any revisions in order to impact 2007-08 State subsidy calculation. You will note for the MEDMS Staff Information, the initial report due date and the final date for any revisions (for Essential Programs & Service Staff Positions only) are both September 30, 2006. This deadline is necessary to have sufficient time to use the data to create the new Staff Salary Matrixes for 2007-08 funding that I must present to the State Board of Education in December 2006. The website also includes a list of the staff positions that specifically impact the calculation of the Essential Program & Services matrixes and special education allocations. I strongly encourage you to review your unit’s data for accuracy prior to submission to reduce or avoid the necessity for revisions. Should your unit fail to meet these deadlines, it will result in not using your unit’s most recent data for your unit’s calculation of 2007-08 State subsidy.
Click on “Reporting Deadlines for Subsidy Calculations
Accounting Handbook and Model Chart of Accounts – Beginning with 2007-08 Budget information and 2007-08 Actual Financial data, all school administrative units must report budget and financial information based on the Revised Accounting Handbook and Model Chart of Accounts. This information is available on the Department of Education’s website:
The 2007-08 budget information and 2007-08 actual financial data will be reported to the Department of Education through the MEDMS Financial System Module.
Accounting Instructions for Specific Funds for 2007-08 – Beginning with 2007-08 Budgets and 2007-08 accounting of revenues and expenditures, the following funds must be accounted for in the following manner:
- MaineCare / Medicaid Revenues and Expenditures – All MaineCare funds received by school administrative units must be reported as follows:
- Revenues – Fund 246 (Special Revenue Fund – Maine Care) and Revenue Code 4585
- Expenditures – Fund 246 (Special Revenue Fund – MaineCare), Program Codes 2100, 2200, 2300, 2400, 2500 and 2800 and with the appropriate Function Codes and Object Codes for Special Education programs and services.
- State Ward and State Agency Client Revenues and Expenditures – All State Ward and State Agency Client funds received by school administrative units from the Department of Education (General Purpose Aid for Local Schools Miscellaneous Costs appropriation) must be reported as follows:
- Revenues – Fund 100 (General Fund) and Revenue Codes 1420, 3121, 3123, 3124, 3126
- Expenditures – Fund 100 (General Fund), Program Codes 2100, 2200, 2300, 2400, 2500 and 2800 and with the appropriate Function Codes and Object Codes for Special Education programs and services.
Business Administrators/Managers List Serve – The Department of Education provides school administrative units’ business staff with the opportunity to belong to the Department’s Business Administrators/Managers List Serve. This is an excellent venue for business personnel to ask other business personnel in the State for advice and recommendations on local issues. Department staff often provides updates on funding, accounting practices and reporting reminders through this service. I highly recommend that your business personnel join this List Serve. Contact Joanne Allen, List Serve Administrator, at email@example.com