Mineral Collecting Field Trips - Lottery Procedure
Before signing up for a field trip lottery, please read the RULES AND GUIDELINES which apply to all trips.
How the lottery works:
- There is a one week application period for each trip. These weeks are indicated in the trip announcements. They are scheduled during the spring, so that applicants will know whether they were picked for one or more trips and will have time to plan for them.
- If there are more applicants than the number of people allowed on a trip, spaces on the trip will be allocated by lottery. Each application will be assigned a number, and a random-number generator will select those who can attend the trip.
- Applications can include yourself and up to 3 other immediate family members. Family groups will be kept together in the selection process.
- Successful applicants will be notified by e-mail as quickly as possible, usually within 10 days of the application week. If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail during this time, you can assume you were not picked.
- You can apply for as many trips as you want, but there will be a change. Due to the great popularity of the Newry Mines trips, priority on the second and any following Newry trips will be given to applicants that have not already been selected for one of our 2013 visits to Newry.
- If you are picked for a trip, you are expected to be there. People who don't show and didn't let us know in advance that they can't attend may be excluded from future trips.
How to sign up for field trip lotteries:
- Only e-mail applications will be accepted. They must be sent during the designated application period(s) for the trip(s) you want to attend.
- Send your application to: Woodrow.B.Thompson@maine.gov
- In your e-mail, clearly indicate the following information:
- Trip number, date, and location for which you are applying.
- Your first and last name.
- The name(s) of other immediate family member(s) who would come with you on the trip.
- Your phone number (optional) in case we need to contact you on short notice.
Last updated on January 8, 2013