Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation

Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry, Conservation and Forestry, Food & Rural Resources
Dog Licensing Online Purchasing & Renewal Service

Home > FAQ


When do dogs need to be licensed?

All dogs need to be licensed upon reaching the age of 6 months in the town where it resides. Or after the dog has been with the family for 10 days, if adopted.

Have you lost your dog's tag and it is not time to renew the license?

You need to obtain a new tag from your town office or city hall.

May a dog run *at large in the State of Maine?

It is unlawful for any dog to run at large except when it is used for hunting.
*At large means off the premises of the owner and not under the control of any person

What is the cost to license a dog?

For an "altered" dog, the total cost is $7.00 for a new license or a license renewal. The total cost for an "unaltered" dog is $12 for a new license or license renewal. The total amount you pay through this online service includes funds to develop, maintain, and enhance this online service as well as the State's official web portal, and online services like this one. This online service is operated without any state government funding.

How do I register a service dog online?

This application is unable to determine if a dog being registered is a service dog or not. To that end, the registration fee will be assessed for each dog registered online. If you do have a service dog, and want to register it online, you may do so but you will need to contact your town office so that they can verify the dog's service status and issue a refund for the registration fees assessed online. Please note, first-time service dog registrants will also need to contact the town office to obtain a service dog request form.


Questions about this Service? Contact the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry: (207) 287-3846 or Email:
For technical support, contact InforME: (207) 621-2600 or Email: