Home → Frequently Asked Question (Vehicle)
Frequently Asked Question (Vehicle)
- How early can I renew my registration online?
- My registration has expired. How long after the expiration can I use the rapid renewal?
- When I begin to use the service, why do I get an error message about "cookies"?
- My registration has my registrant name(s) spelled incorrectly. How can I have this corrected?
- I have changed my address since the last time I registered my vehicle. Can I still use Rapid Renewal?
- I have to file an SR-22 or I received an error saying I need to file an SR-22. What does this mean?
- What is excise tax?
- What is the $35 registration fee?
- If I am registering online, why do I have to pay an agent fee?
- Why doesn't my town offer credit cards as a payment option?
- What forms of payment does my town accept?
- I am not a resident of Maine, but am stationed here and am active duty military. Can I re-register my vehicle using Rapid Renewal?
- I do not see my base listed on the Rapid Renewal website. Can I proceed with my re-registration using Rapid Renewal?
- Where can I find the MV-7 "Active Duty Stationed in Maine Excise Tax Exemption" form?
- How does this on-line process get my Commanding Officer for verification?
You may renew your vehicle up to 60 days before your registration expires.
You may use rapid renewal up to 7 months after the expiration date of your registration.
Name changes cannot be done online. You will need to register in person at your Town or City Hall in order for this to be corrected.
If you have changed your address within the same town, you will still be able to continue with your registration. If you have moved to a different town, you will need to register in person at your new town or city, as they do not yet have your vehicle information in their system.
The error message that you received indicates that according to the records at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, you are required to file an SR-22 statement of financial responsibility or are currently under a court-ordered restriction. Your registration cannot be completed online. Please contact the Bureau of Motor Vehicles for further information at (207) 624-9000 ext 52116.
The motor vehicle excise tax is a local tax. Funds raised through the collection of the excise tax remain in your community. The excise tax calculation is based on the original value of the motor vehicle. For example, passenger vehicle calculations are based on the original sticker price. The excise tax rate is $24.00 per thousand dollars of value the first year, $17.50 the second year, $13.50 the third year, $10.00 the fourth year, $6.50 the fifth year and $4.00 every year thereafter. Please contact your local town or city office for questions about setting the initial value for other vehicles.
The registration fee is collected by the State of Maine. If you have any questions regarding your registration or the registration fee, please call the registration section at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles at 624-9000 ext. 52149 for assistance or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Maine.gov website and many of the online services available are operated by a third party working in partnership with the State of Maine. This is made possible through the Information Resource of Maine (InforME), which was created by the legislature in 1998 to be the state's eGovernment portal. The goal of this partnership is to offer Maine.gov users a more efficient way of conducting government business through online services. The total amount you pay through this online service includes funds to develop, maintain, and enhance this online service as well as the State's official web portal Maine.gov, and Maine.gov online services like this one. This online service is operated without any state government funding.
The payment option is decided by each municipality. With credit cards, there is a merchant fee that is taken from the excise tax. Because the excise tax belongs to the town, they decide whether or not to offer this as a payment option.
Please visit a list of each town and their payment options.
We recently expanded our online Rapid Renewal service to allow for active duty, non-resident, military members who are stationed in Maine to renew their registration online. Please select the "motor vehicle" option on the home page of the Rapid Renewal application and proceed as instructed.
No. Currently, we are working with Portsmouth Naval Shipyard to 'pilot' the project. If this project proves successful, we will explore adding other large units to the program.
You will not need this form if you renew your registration online. However, if you choose not to renew online or are stationed at an installation not yet listed on this site, you will need the MV-7 form to re-register your vehicle. The form is available on line at the following link: activedutyexciseexemption.doc
When you first log on and request renewal of your registration, an e-mail is sent to the designated military commander. Your name is then verified as having met the criteria for a non-resident military registration (active duty, not on contract with the Guard or Reserves, and stationed in Maine), exempting you from payment of excise tax. Once verified, an email is returned to you instructing you to proceed with your re-registration request.
Questions about this service? Contact the BMV Registration Section at: (207) 624-9000 ext. 52149 or email: email@example.com