Home > Explore! > Mineral Collecting
Mineral Collecting in Maine
- Our virtual tour (PDF, 3.5MB) is a series of photos which portray some of the minerals found in Maine, the State's mining history, and the hobby of mineral collecting.
- In 2013 we will use funds donated by the Maine Mineral Symposium Association, Inc., to sponsor one more year of mineral collecting field trips that will be open to the public. Space on these trips is limited and will be allotted by the lottery method used in previous years.
- The Survey's popular Collector's Guide to Maine Minerals is now available in an online edition. Maps and descriptions of collecting sites are available as PDF files for download.
- Chapter 6 of the online guide contains detailed maps, directions, mineral lists, and other data for individual collecting localities.
- Only sites currently open for collecting are listed. Collectors should consult the list of closed mineral localities before planning any collecting excursions.
- Mineral Collecting in Maine
- Collecting Localities and Field Trips
- Mineral Displays
- Mineral Descriptions
- A Collector's Guide to Maine Minerals
- Mineralogy of Maine
- Bibliography of Maine Geology - For those interested in more in-depth research, the Bibliography of Maine Geology contains more than 12,000 references related to Maine geology. The Bibliography is part of our publications search site and the results displayed will have links to online Maine Geological Survey maps and publications.
Last updated on March 29, 2013