Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
||Office of Integrated Access and Support
||Temporary Assistance to Needy Families
||Social Security Administration / Health & Human Services
- No dollars were appropriated for any increase in the TANF grant allocation.
- The ARRA creates an emergency contingency fund from which States can request quarterly grants for three purposes:
- Caseload increases
- Increased expenditures related to non-recurrent short term benefits
- Increased expenditures for subsidized employment
These services are matched at 80% federal / 20% state and the dollars must be in addition to what the program has spent in the past.
- Eligibility for payments from the fund will be triggered if the state’s numbers (caseload data or expenditures) for a given quarter exceed those for the corresponding quarter in the emergency fund base year (either 2007 or 2008) where the state’s enrollment or expenditure data were the lowest.