Questions About Checks

"Where's My Check?" "What's this check for?"

Agencies enter check requests on the accounting system. Those checks requests are authorized by the State Treasurer, the Governor and the State Controller and then printed by the accounting system. In some cases, check eligibility is confidential and will not be disclosed to Treasury personnel. While Treasury distributes checks, checks are initiated and tracked by each agency. For example, the Department of Health and Human Services initiates and tracks all child support checks.

Where's My Check?

If you are looking for a check, we recommend contacting the appropriate state agency where source documents are maintained.

Child Support Check

  • Department of Health and Human Services
  • 11 State House Station
  • Augusta, ME 04333-0011
  • (207) 287-3707
  • (800) 452-1926

Tax and Rent Refund

  • Income Tax Refund
  • Maine Revenue Services
  • 24 State House Station
  • Augusta, ME 04333-0024
  • (207) 287-2076
  • (207) 626-8475 - Income Tax Assistance

Property Tax/Tree Growth/Homestead Reimbursement

A complete list of Maine Revenue Services contact info

What's This Check For?

If you are in receipt of an electronic deposit (ACH/EFT) from the State of Maine and require additional information to determine the purpose of the funds, you must contact the agency that initiated the payment. If you are a Paymode (f/k/a Clareon) customer, you can contact their customer service department at 877-443-6944. If you do not know what state agency sent the funds, please make inquiry to the Office of the State Controller at 626-8424.

If you are unsure of which agency to call, please review your check for the agency code and telephone number.

List of Agency Codes and Contact Information

The Check Stub should show the Agency Code in the left column