FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Secretary of State Charles E. Summers, Jr. to Recognize the Bailey Island Library for 100 Years of Incorporation
AUGUSTA, Maine -- Secretary of State Charlie Summers will honor the Bailey Island Library for achieving 100 years of incorporation at their open house on Friday, November 4, 2011 at 6:00 PM.
During the summer of 1906, several Bailey Island women formed a book club. As the club grew, they began discuss building a library. By 1909 the club raised enough money to build the structure on a piece of land donated by Mr. and Mrs. Charles Root. The library hall was completed in 1911 and incorporated on October 14 of that year. Over the past 100 years, the library has served as venue for many community events, including dances, movie nights, lobster bakes, and other gatherings. During World War II it was even used by the U.S.O as a social center. Today the library is still maintained by fundraising efforts of the original book club as well as the Board of Trustees.
The Department of the Secretary of State Division of Corporations maintains records for over 80,000 business entities and nonprofit corporations. Other Maine corporations celebrating 100 years of incorporation during 2011 include: the Arbutus Grange No. 450; the Chelsea Grange; the Maine Council of Churches; the Ogunquit Fire Company; the Bangor Region Chamber of Commerce; the Free Public Library Association of Vassalboro; J.E.L., Inc.; North Haven Grange No. 496; the Orchard Grove Cemetery Association; the Association Co-Operative Du Conseil Chagnon No. 120; the Women’s Educational And Industrial Union of Saco; the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals of Hancock County; the Boothbay Harbor Yacht Club; the Cliff Island Library Club; the East Sangerville Grange No. 177; Allen, Sterling & Lothrup; the Animal Refuge League of greater Portland; the Clearwater Lake Improvement Association; Consumers Fuel Company; Phillips Public Library; and the Vassalboro Union Camp Meetings Association.