For Immediate Release
March 26, 2010
Contact: Matthew Dunlap
Maine’s National History Day Competition Winners Announced
AUGUSTA, MAINE—Secretary of State Matt Dunlap applauded students from 16 Maine schools for their efforts in preparing presentations for the annual History Day competition, held March 24th at the University of Maine at Augusta.
History Day is a national competition where individual students and small groups, in grades 6 through 12, develop websites, performances, exhibits, documentaries and papers on various topics in history. This year’s theme was Innovation in History: Impact and Change. Competitors were judged by experts in history from around Maine, and the winners of the several categories qualify to move on to the national competition held at the University of Maryland outside of Washington, D.C. in June.
The Statewide competition was made possible with the support of the Maine Humanities Council, Maine Historical Society, Margaret Chase Smith Library, the University of Maine at Augusta, Hannaford Bros. Co., the History Channel, and dozens of historical societies from across the State.
Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap addressed the audience at this event that drew over 200 students. "Maine History Day allows students to bring history to life, through the use of exhibits and performances," stated Dunlap. "It also offers teachers a unique way to present a curriculum that is not confined to the pages of a textbook."
Finishing first among schools were Buckfield Junior/Senior High School of Buckfield, Hartford and Sumner, in the Junior Division, and Thornton Academy, of Saco, in the Senior Division. Also, each of the participating schools had one or more winning student project entries in the individual and group categories.
2010 Maine History Day Schools included:
- Eric L. Knowlton School, Berwick
- Noble Middle School, Berwick
- Brunswick Junior High School, Brunswick
- Buckfield Jr/Sr High School, Buckfield
- Bonny Eagle High School, Buxton
- Bonny Eagle Middle School, Buxton
- Deer Isle-Stonington Elementary School, Deer Isle
- TW Kelley Dirigo Middle School, Dixfield
- Gorham Middle School, Gorham
- Shapleigh Middle School, Kittery
- Loranger Middle School, Old Orchard Beach
- Thornton Academy, Saco
- Scarborough Middle School, Scarborough
- Hartford Sumner Elementary School, Sumner
- Massabesic High School, Waterboro
- Massabesic Middle School, Waterboro
For more on History Day, please visit:http://umaine.edu/history/national-history-day/