Board Meeting Minutes: March 21, 2013
Present: Board members present were: Mandy Holway Olver, P.E., Chair; Clifton W. Greim, P.E, Vice-Chair; Donald A. Grant, P.E.; George W. Ames, P.E; and Lawrence E. Bartlett, P.E. Also present were: Judith Peters, Assistant Attorney General, and David Jackson, Executive Director.
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 9:01 a.m. by the Chair in the Board offices, Suite 207, 295 Water Street in Augusta.
1. Minutes of previous meeting and other preliminaries:
- Approval of the minutes of the board meeting held on January 17, 2013. On a motion by Mr. Ames and a second by Mr. Greim, the minutes were approved without revision 5-0.
2. Executive Committee: (Chair)
- Report on 2013 NCEES Board President’s Assembly, Feb 8-9, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Ms. Olver and the Executive Director reported on the Atlanta meeting.
- Report on Maine Engineers Week Expo.
- The Executive Director reported on the Engineers Week Expo.
- Make Executive Director “Associate Member” of the Board for NCEES purposes.
- On a motion by Dr. Grant and a second by Mr. Ames, the Board voted 5-0 in favor.
- 2013 NCEES Zone Meeting, May 2-4, Cape May, New Jersey
- Mr. Bartlett is registered to attend the meeting in New Jersey.
- 2013 NCEES Annual Meeting, August 21-24, San Antonio, Texas
- Tabled for later decision.
- Select Option for FE exam registration process (Rules)
- On motion by Mr. Bartlett, with second by Mr. Ames, the Board voted 5-0 in favor of Option One, to allow Engineer-Interns to take the FE exam before applying to the Board for certification, commencing with the change to computer-based testing in 2104. A committee will be appointed to work on necessary statutory and rule changes.
- Office Staffing
- Postponed to a Certain Time at a special meeting scheduled for April 23, 2013. The Executive Director will prepare a report and budget proposal.
- Supervision of Exams
- On motion by Mr. Ames and a second by Dr. Grant, the Board voted 5-0 not to send anyone to the examinations.
3. Finance Committee: (Greim)
- Book balance on March 12, 2013 was $381,591.43, compared to the book balance of $354,590 on March 3, 2011.
- The number of active licensees on March 12, 2013 was 6050, compared to 5816 on March 3, 2011.
- Transfer of funds to General Fund
- On Motion by Mr. Ames with second by Dr. Grant, the Board voted 5-0 to accept the Finance Committee report.
- Fee increase discussion
- Postponed indefinitely.
4. Rules Committee: (Sweeney)
- Discuss revisions to proposed statute changes.
- The Board discussed the edits sent to the Governor’s office. The Executive Director was asked to continue to monitor progress of the proposed statutes and to keep the Board Members updated.
- Rule making for fees
- The Board received written materials describing the rulemaking process.
5. Examinations Committee: (Grant)
6. Information Committee: (Olver)
- Spring Newsletter – Articles due by April 26
- The following articles are proposed for the Spring Newsletter:
- Results of complaints by the Complaint Officer Mr. Ames;
- Notes from the NCEES President’s Assembly by Ms. Olver;
- Discussion of the changeover to computer-based testing by Dr. Grant;
- A review of Professional Development requirements;
- Notes from Engineers Week at UMaine Gorham; and,
- An introduction of the new Chair.
7. Complaint Committee: (Ames)
- Licensee: None
- Unlicensed: None
- Complaints by other jurisdictions against Maine PEs: None
8. Special Committees: (Bartlett)
- Continuing Education Committee Mr. Bartlett proposed scheduling a meeting of the Committee after the April special meeting.
- Guideline policy for the submission of stamped construction drawings to CEOs. Mr. Ames submitted the CEO document to the board. Mr. Ames suggested that the document might be published in the newsletter. Given its length, it was suggested an article be added to the newsletter with a link to the document on the website. Mr. Ames will discuss with other members of this ad hoc committee what the appropriate timing for publication would be.
9. Reading of communications:
- Email from Navy Lieutenant about PE references. The Executive Director will respond with instruction from the Board.
- Email from PE about PDH article in newsletter. The Executive Director will respond, expressing the Board’s thanks for the suggestions offered.
- Email from MBA listserv about structural engineering designation. The Executive Director will respond consistent with statute and Board policy.
- Email from NCEES about exam contracts. The Executive Director will respond consistent with policy as understood.
10. Reading and considering applications:
- Review and concurrence of Chair/Executive Director actions: On a motion by Mr. Ames, seconded by Mr. Bartlett, the Board voted 5-0 to concur with the following items 1 through 6:
- Temporary certificates issued.
- Licenses authorized for NCEES Certified Applicants.
- Comity licenses authorized by the Executive Director and Chair.
- Licenses by written examinations.
- Licenses by oral examinations.
- Re-examinations authorized by the Executive Director.
- New Engineer Intern (E.I.) Applications. On a motion by Mr. Ames, seconded by Mr. Bartlett, the Board voted 5-0 to approve applications of Engineer Interns to take the Fundamentals of Engineering examination listed on the attached list under Item #10.B.
- Recently certified Engineer Interns. On a motion by Mr. Ames, seconded by Mr. Bartlett, the Board voted 5-0 to approve the recently certified Engineer Interns listed on the attached list under Item #10.C.
- New P.E. Applications. (Exec Dir). On a motion by Mr. Ames, seconded by Mr. Bartlett, the Board voted 5-0 to accept the Executive Director’s recommendations of all the listed applicants.
- Tabled and previously considered: None
- Reexamination Requests: None
- Other applications or requests:
- Thomas J. Nunno: After consulting with the Assistant Attorney General, the Board determined that policy and statute dictate that this application be treated as a new application for licensure.
11. Unfinished Business:
12. New Business:
- Creation of online PDH courses. On motion of Dr. Grant and a second by Mr. Greim, the Board voted 4-1 in favor of the creation of online PDH courses per the quote from InforME in the amount of $6505 for development and $1300 for maintenance and support. The Executive Director is charged with controlling costs.
- Supplemental contract for Executive Director. On motion by Mr. Greim and second by Mr. Ames, the Board voted 5-0 in favor of adding 300 hours to the Executive Director’s contract to continue services through the end of the fiscal year in June.
- Upgrade for website design. On motion by Dr. Grant and second by Mr. Greim, the Board voted 5-0 to approve the expenditure of $5322 to InforME for migration of the website to the new state design.
- Database upgrade. On a motion by Mr. Ames and second by Dr. Grant, the Board voted 4-0 to approve the purchase of new database software from R:Base.
Mr. Greim left the meeting at approximately 11:30 a.m.
13. Oral Exams:
- Next regular meetings are June 20, 2013 and August 15, 2013.
- Meeting adjourned at 11:50 a.m.
David W. Jackson Jr. Executive Director