Forester means a person licensed by the Department of Professional and Financial Regulation to offer professional services requiring the application of forestry principles and techniques, including investigations, consultations, development of forest management plans, supervision of forest management, forest utilization, forest economics or other forestry activities carried out in connection with public or private lands.
How to apply
- Application fee: $30.00
- License fee: $70.00
- Criminal records check: $21.00
- Submit an initial application to include:
- Transcripts of approved forestry curriculum as described below.
- Education & Experience
- Bachelor degree from a forestry curriculum accredited by the Society of American Foresters or certified by the Canadian Institute of Forestry and 24 months experience as an Intern Forester under the supervision of a licensed Forester , OR
- Associate degree from a forestry curriculum accredited by the Society of American Foresters or certified by the Canadian Institute of Forestry and 48 months experience as an Intern Forester under the supervision of a licensed Forester, OR
- Education variance (obtained at the Internship level) and 48 months experience as an Intern Forester under the supervision of a licensed Forester.
- Licensed or Practicing in Another Jurisdiction
- Candidates who are licensed Foresters or practicing forestry in another state or jurisdiction are required to have completed at least 24 months of lawful forestry practice within the 6-years prior to application. The practice must be considered equivalent to completion of a forestry internship as described in 32 MRSA Chapter 76, §5515 (3).
- Professional Practice as a Federal Employee
- All applicants, including those licensed or practicing in another state or jurisdiction, are required to pass the Forester licensing examination.
Please note that applicants obtain Board approval to sit for the licensing examination (administered by SAF) by submission of the initial application and documentation of professional qualifications as described in the paragraphs above.
Online applications are now available. To apply online, click here.
Or download an application form
Get the free Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0 or higher to access PDF files.
Renewal fees and information
- Annual renewal fee is $70.00
- A late fee of $50 is assessed for licenses renewed after December 31st.
- Renews annually on December 31st
- A late fee of $50.00 is assessed for licenses renewed within 90 calendar days after December 31st.
- Licenses renewed more than 90 days after the expiration date but within 2 years after the expiration date, are subject to an additional $50 late fee in addition to the 90 day late fee and renewal fee.
- Renewal reminders are emailed approximately 60 days prior to the license expiration date. It is the licensee's responsibility to keep the board informed of the current email address and to see that the license is renewed.
- Continuing Education: 6 hours of continuing professional education is required for renewal.
May 29, 2018