Architect means a person licensed by the Department of Professional and Financial Regulation to use the title "architect" or to practice architecture after having met the requirements for licensing. Unless specifically exempted, a license is required to practice architecture in the State of Maine [reference 32 MRSA Chapter 3-A §226 "Exceptions"].
How to apply
- Application fee: $50.00, whether applying for approval to sit for Architect Registration Exam (ARE) or qualifying for license through NCARB or reciprocity.
- License fee: $70.00
- Criminal records check: $21.00
General Requirements for All Applicants
- Completed application.
- Credit Card Application if wish to authorize payment of fees by VISA or MasterCard.
Requirements to Sit for the Architect Registration Examination (ARE)
Requirements if Applying by Reciprocity with NCARB Certificate
- Contact NCARB and have them do a transmittal to Maine.
Requirements if Applying by Reciprocity without NCARB Certificate
- Pathways to qualifications.
- TRANSCRIPT(S) showing completion of a course of study in a school or college accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB), the Canadian Architectural Certification Board (CACB) or approved by the Board.
- VERIFICATION OF LICENSURE from another state or foreign country in which applicant holds an architect license.
- VERIFICATION OF EMPLOYMENT form documenting applicant's work experience.
Get the free Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0 or higher to access PDF files.
Renewal fees and information
- Annual renewal fee is $70.00.
- Late fee of $50.00 is assessed if license is renewed after the expire date.
- Renews annually on June 30th
- A late fee of $50.00 is assessed for licenses renewed after June 30.
- A person who submits an application for renewal more than 90 days after the license expiration date is subject to all requirements governing new applicants and is required to reapply with original license application, documentation and fees.
- The Board may, at its discretion, waive the examination requirement for applicants applying for reinstatement within two years of the license expiration date.
- Renewal reminders are emailed to the email address on file at least 30 days prior to the license expiration date. It is the licensee's responsibility to keep the Board informed of current contact information and to see that the license is renewed absent the renewal application. Reminder includes licensee’s access code which, along with license number, is required for online renewal.
- Renewal may be filed online (see below).
- Fill out the online renewal application and submit.
The Department must verify that you have met all the conditions for renewal before your license is renewed. Online submission of your renewal application should not be construed as automatic renewal of your license.
May 29, 2018