Bureau of Consumer Credit Protection
Welcome to the website of the Bureau of Consumer Credit Protection, an agency within the Department of Professional and Financial Regulation. The Bureau oversees many aspects of the consumer finance industry, including non-bank mortgage lenders, debt collectors, loan brokers, retail creditors, money transmitters, consumer reporting agencies, student loan servicers, and non-bank ATMs. We appreciate your visit to our homepage and look forward to assisting you.
NMLS License Transitions
NMLS License Transitions for the following license types are open:
- Debt Collectors (Including collection agencies, debt buyers, and repossession companies)
- Payroll Processors (all license types)
Please note: while recently published Bureau Rules make the changes necessary to transition several additional license and registration types to the NMLS, only the above industries are able to transition licenses to NMLS at this time. As transition dates for other industries become available, they will be published on the Bureau's website HERE.
CLICK HERE for for general information about transitioning your license or registration to NMLS. CLICK HERE (Trusted Partner Link) to access NMLS license transition checklists. Click the button below (trusted partner link) to visit the NMLS Resource Center.
Do You Have a Federal Student Loan?
Notices and Updates
- 12/1/2023: Bureau Adds Full/Limited Service Payroll Processor License and Restricted Service Payroll Processor License to NMLS
- 11/29/2023: Maine Bureau of Consumer Protection Issues Proposed Student Loan Servicer Rule for Comment
- 11/1/2023: 2024 License Renewal Information Available
- 10/11/2023: Maine Bureau of Consumer Protection Adds Collection Agency and Repossession Company Licenses to NMLS
Recent Enforcement Actions
- 11/27/2023: Hometown Lenders, Inc. - Order to Cease and Desist
- 5/28/2020: Fuller Chevrolet-GMC Inc. Assurance of Discontinuance
- 5/14/2020: Goodwin Mazda Assurance of Discontinuance
- 12/18/2019: Uphold HQ Inc Cease and Desist Order
- 8/19/2019: Johnson Smith and Associates Cease and Desist Order