Maine Homeowner Assistance Fund

The Maine Homeowner Assistance Fund ("the Maine HAF") is a free, federal relief program for homeowners financially impacted by COVID-19 who are behind on their mortgage, housing, property tax or utility payments and are at risk of foreclosure or loss of services. The program, which can provide up to $25,000 per eligible household, is funded through the U.S. Dept. of Treasury and administered by the Maine Bureau of Consumer Credit Protection.

The Maine HAF will provide homeowners who were affected by COVID-19 with several types of support, including:

  • Paying off past due mortgage payments, including past due payments on contracts for deed or land installment contracts;
  • Providing financial assistance to reinstate a mortgage or to pay other housing-related costs related to a period of forbearance, delinquency, or default;
  • Paying off past due homeowner’s insurance, flood insurance, and mortgage insurance;
  • Paying off property taxes to prevent tax foreclosures;
  • Paying off utilities, including electric, gas, heating oil, sewage and water bills that are past due;
  • Paying off past due amounts for internet services, including broadband internet access service;
  • Paying off past due homeowner association or condominium association fees; and
  • Paying off past due manufactured home loan debt (chattel loan or retail installment contracts).

If you are a homeowner who has fallen behind on your mortgage payments, getting help early in the process can mean the difference between saving your home and losing it to foreclosure. A housing counselor can help you understand your options based on your specific circumstances and can assist you with finding a solution that works best for you. The Maine Bureau of Consumer Credit Protection has contracted with a statewide network of nonprofit agencies that provide critical assistance to homeowners. To be connected to housing counseling services, call the Bureau's foreclosure prevention hotline at 1-888-664-2569 (1-888-NO-4-CLOZ), TTY 711.