Frequently Asked Questions

-Consumer FAQ's Regarding Debt Management Service Providers

What does the Bureau of Consumer Credit Protection do?

The primary responsibility of the bureau is to implement the Maine Consumer Credit Code. The Code requires the bureau to promote the development of equitable consumer credit practices; to promote competition among credit grantors; and to assure that the regulation of consumer credit transactions in Maine conforms to the policies of the federal Truth in Lending Act.

The bureau's activities are composed of four functions: licensing and registration, conducting compliance examinations, responding to consumers complaints, and providing consumer education.

Where are your offices located? or How do I contact the Bureau of Consumer Credit Protection?

Our mailing address is:

35 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0035

Consumers and businesses may reach us at our physical location:

Department of Professional and Financial Regulation
76 Northern Avenue
Gardiner, Maine
Driving directions

They may also reach us by phone at (207)624-8527. Note that in-state consumers who have a complaint may reach us on our 800 line at 1-800-332-8529. You can also reach us at our Internet e-mail addresses.

How do I register a complaint against a creditor, debt collector, credit bureau or other business regulated by your agency?

The Bureau of Consumer credit Protection has a consumer complaint section, which is staffed by two Consumer Outreach Specialists who help consumers resolve complaints filed against regulated companies. Complaints are taken over the phone, by mail, email or in person.

Do I need to be licensed or registered with the Bureau of Consumer credit Protection?

All debt collectors and Supervised Lenders doing business in Maine must be licensed. All arrangers of credit and credit reporting agencies must obtain a registration certificate prior to doing business in the State. All creditors must file an annual notification that they are engaging in consumer credit transactions. This MCCC-1 ("Mick-one") form contains volume information relating to the amount of credit business conducted during the previous calendar year.

How do I get a copy of my credit report ?

A copy of a credit report can be obtained by contacting the three credit reporting agencies operating in the State of Maine. Further information can be found by following the links to Downeaster Consumer Guide to Credit Bureaus and Credit Reports and Consumer Rights; Credit Reports and Credit Bureaus.