Northeastern Maine Library District Executive Board Bylaws
ARTICLE I: NAME
The name of the organization shall be the Northeastern Maine Library District Executive Board.
The purpose of the Executive Board shall be to coordinate the workings of the District Council.
- Develop, continuously review and propose, with the District Consultant, a comprehensive District plan of service for the approval of the Northeastern Maine Library District Council.
- Develop, propose, review and coordinate District-wide programs of service, for the approval of the Northeastern Maine Library District Council.
- Represent the needs of the District to the Maine Library Commission, the Maine State Librarian, and other officials and organizations.
ARTICLE III: MEMBERSHIP
Section 1: Composition
The Executive Board shall be composed of nine members of the District Council, with this membership coming from an equitable distribution of library types and geographic areas and including librarians, trustees, and lay persons. The District Consultant, the Director of the Area Reference and Resource Center, and the District Representative to the Maine Library Commission shall sit with the Board in an ex-officio, non-voting capacity.
Section 2: Selection of Representatives
Nominees for board vacancies shall be solicited from the Northeastern Maine library community. Nominees shall be reviewed by the Nominating Committee and the Committees recommendations shall be presented to the District Council for approval at the spring Council meeting. The terms of office for the members of the Executive Board shall be three years, with one-third of the members elected at the annual fall meeting of the District Council. No member shall serve consecutively for more than two three-year terms. A person who has served two consecutive terms may be re-elected after a one year absence. Officers shall be selected at the Fall Executive Board Meeting.
Section 3: Vacancies
If a vacancy occurs, the Executive Board may appoint a replacement to fill the unexpired term.
Section 4: Duties of Members
- Attend all Executive Board and District Council meetings
- Be informed about the Northeastern Maine Library Districts mission, strategic objectives, and plan of service
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to Executive Board meetings and be prepared to discuss
- Serve on committees and offer to take on special assignments
- Suggest to the Nominating Committee possible candidates for Board vacancies
- Keep current on developments affecting Maine libraries
- Assist in the development of the districts annual strategic plan
Section 5: Attendance
When a Board member misses three consecutive meetings a vacancy may be declared.
ARTICLE IV: OFFICERS
Section 1: Composition
The officers of the Executive Board shall consist of a Chair, Vice-Chair, and Secretary.
Section 2: Terms of Office
The term for each office shall be one year. Officers are elected by a simple majority vote of Executive Board members at the first Board meeting following the Spring District Council meeting.
Section 3: Duties of the Officers
- All officers of the Executive Board shall also serve as officers of the District Council.
- The Chair shall preside at all meetings of the Executive Board and District Council and shall perform all other duties customarily associated with this office.
- The Vice Chair shall preside at all meetings in the absence of the Chair, assist the District Consultant with program arrangements for District Council meetings and other District functions, and shall perform other duties customarily associated with this office.
- The Secretary shall keep a record of all proceedings of the Executive Board and the District Council, communicate on behalf of the District Council and Board, and perform other duties customarily associated with this office.
ARTICLE V: MEETINGS
Meetings of the Executive Board may be called by the Chair or by any three members and shall occur no fewer than three times per calendar year, and shall be conducted in accordance with ROBERTS RULES OF ORDER.
ARTICLE VI: COMMITTEES
Section 1: Composition
The Executive Board Chair shall appoint the Chair of each standing committee from the Executive Board at the first Executive Board meeting immediately following the fall council meeting. Each standing committee chair shall select individuals to serve for one year. Members of committees may be Northeastern Maine Library District Executive Board members or may come from the general membership of the District. Standing committees include Public Relations, Nominating, and Programming. Each committee shall consist of at least three members. Committee business will be reported to the Executive Board and to the meetings of the District Council.
Section 2: Committee Formation
The Chair shall appoint such other committees as are necessary with the advice and consent of the Board.
ARTICLE VII: PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
Meetings shall be conducted in accordance with ROBERTS RULES OF ORDER.
ARTICLE VIII: AMENDMENTS
Amendments to these Bylaws must be approved by the District Council. Amendments to these Bylaws may be presented at any advertised District Council meeting or in writing in any issue of the District newsletter published thirty days before such a meeting, to be voted on at the next District Council meeting. Seventy-five percent of the voting members present at the meeting must approve amendments to the Bylaws.
Adopted: Fall Council Meeting, October 30, 2009