Position Type: Non-MLS
Library Type: Public
Under general supervision, to perform a variety of sub-professional library work requiring specialized knowledge and to do related work as required.
Examples of Duties
- Advises patrons about the library and its services and resources.
- Collects and processes fines and other library fees.
- Creates and edits computer records of materials and patrons.
- Assists in maintenance of computer databases.
- Assists patrons with operation of special equipment and machinery.
- Explains the use of the online catalog to patrons.
- Assists patrons in locating materials.
- Answers simple reference questions and refers other questions to the proper source.
- Answers telephone and assists with patron requests.
- Checks out, renews, and checks in materials loaned against borrower?s record.
- Registers patrons for library cards.
- Maintains patron registration file.
- Assists with special programs for any age group.
- Catalogs fiction books and some audiovisual materials.
- Maintains shelf list of materials.
- Makes lists of materials for patron use.
- Prepares books and other materials for patron use.
- Processes withdrawal of materials.
- Calls patrons about overdue and reserved materials.
- Shelves books and other materials.
- Assists with inventory work.
- Designs and creates library displays and signs.
- Processes overdue notices.
- Retrieves library materials from restricted areas.
- Maintains periodical collection by recording incoming magazines and newspapers, alerting supervisor to subscription problems, and maintaining periodical collection area.
- Performs minor service and repair functions on various office machines.
- Separates and distributes incoming mail.
- Assists with maintenance of statistics on library materials and patrons.
- Performs minor repairs on books and other materials.
- Makes recommendations of additions and withdrawals of materials and identifies subject areas needing development.
- May guide, whenever necessary, part-time employees, volunteers, and other temporary employees.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent.
- Possess good knowledge of current office practices and procedures.
- Possess good knowledge of proper English grammar, vocabulary, and spelling.
- Possess good filing skills.
- Possess good arithmetic computation skills.
- Ability to type and operate computer quickly and accurately.
- Possess basic computer skills including use of mouse and Windows software.
- Possess knowledge of library methods and procedures including books and authors.
- Ability to analyze situations accurately and to adopt an effective course of action.
- Ability to provide quality customer service in a courteous and tactful manner.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with co-workers.