Position Type: Non-MLS
Library Type: Public
This is a full-time position responsible for staffing the Reference and Circulation areas of the Library as needed. Hours are Monday through Friday, 35- 40 hours per week, as needed, including some evenings and Saturdays. The person in this position may expect their primary assignment to be in the Reference Room, with some hours in the Children?s and Circulation areas. This is a paraprofessional position requiring library training and/or experience.
- Greets and assists Library users in the Children?s, Reference and Circulation areas employing effective customer service skills. customer service skills.
- Provides effective service to library users when staffing the Children?s area.
- Provides effective Reference service to Library users when staffing the Reference Desk.
- Provides effective service to Library users when staffing the Circulation Desk.
- Responsible for Library opening and closing procedures as assigned.
- Informs Library users of rules of conduct as necessary, and enforces those rules when appropriate.
- Assists Cataloger.
- Staffs the Reference Desk as assigned.
- Greets and assists Library users in the Reference Area, including: assisting with use of the online catalog; assisting with determining and locating information and materials such as reference and non-fiction books, electronic (online) resources, periodicals and microform; assisting with the use of equipment such as Internet access computers, printers and microform reader/printers; fielding interlibrary loan requests; recording usage statistics; assisting telephone callers with their reference questions and other needs.
- Staffs the Circulation Desk as needed, greeting and assisting Library users at the Circulation Desk employing effective customer service.
- Performs all Circulation Desk functions, including: checks in, checks out and renews Library materials; informs Library users of the status of their Library records; processes applications for, and issues, new Library cards; assists Library users in locating and retrieving Library materials; fields requests for new acquisitions and Interlibrary Loans; generates reports including daily and weekly overdue notices; calls overdue notices; Assists Library users in making photocopies; receives phone calls, and assists or transfers callers as necessary; notifies Library users of materials being held for them; shelves Library materials.
- Performs or assists in Library opening and closing procedures.
- Assists in seeing that Library rules of conduct are observed by asking Library users to observe rules of conduct that are not being followed, and by informing Library administration when necessary.
- Maintains ?Missing Materials? spreadsheet
- Performs Inter-Library Loan procedures when needed.
- Edits cataloguing records as requested by the Cataloger.
- Performs other duties as requested by the Director and Assistant Director.
- Prepares new material for cataloger.
- Withdraws weeded material.
- Creates cataloguing records for gift material.
- Undergraduate degree required.
- Library experience is preferred or transferable skills.
- Desire to serve children and their parents under the direction of the Library?s Head of Children?s Services in a team environment.
- Library skills sufficient to accomplish the duties listed above, ?transferable? skills, or the ability to learn those skills, including those necessary to staff the Reference Desk. In particular, the ability to learn the use of the Dewey classification system, and other Library procedures is required.
- Computer skills sufficient to perform the functions of the Library?s automated Library system, particularly the online catalog and circulation functions.
- Excellent customer service skills are essential.