Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation

Home > Consumer Services & Information > CMP Disconnection Notice Information

What to Do if You Receive a Disconnection Notice from CMP

If you receive a disconnection notice from your electric or gas utility during the winter months, here’s what to do:

  1. No customer can be disconnected from November 15 to April 15, without approval by the PUC’s Consumer Assistance and Safety Division (CASD). There is one exception: if the property associated with the CMP account is vacant. CMP must make a site visit to determine if a property has been abandoned or is vacant.
  2. If you receive a disconnection notice, you should call your utility to arrange next steps. If you fail to contact your utility, the utility may assume the premises is vacant and disconnect the service.
  3. Those steps can include:
  4. a. Making a payment in full or in part
    b. Setting up a payment plan
    c. Enrolling in the utility’s Low-Income Assistance or Arrearage Management Programs if qualified

  5. Making the utility aware of any serious medical conditions that occupants of the home may have.  
  6. Other steps you can take if you receive a Disconnection Notice from CMP:

    a. If you’re unsuccessful resolving the matter with the utility, you should call the PUC’s Consumer Assistance and Safety Division at 1-800-452-4699
    b. Contact your Town Office regarding possible assistance from General Assistance
    c. Contact 211 to learn about other potential forms of assistance
    d. Contact your local Community Action Program to enroll in LIHEAP or apply for other forms of assistance