Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation

Home > Consumer Services & Information > Make a Complaint or Dispute Bill

How to Make a Formal Complaint or Dispute a Bill

Customers of any regulated utility in Maine can contact the PUC’s Customer Assistance and Safety Division (CASD) for assistance with utility questions or complaints.  The CASD can be reached by telephone at 1-800-452-4699, or online at:

CMP customers who have filed complaints with the CASD will see their complaint resolved.  To date, almost 90 percent of customer complaints related to CMP billing errors and unexpectedly high energy usage have been resolved.  From November 1, 2017 to December 31, 2019, CMP has refunded or credited customers more than $5 million as a result of calls to the Company and the CASD as well as complaint resolutions.  These refunds and credits have been made at the direction of the PUC as well as independently by CMP.

The Commission is committed to resolving all billing issues related to these CMP cases. Consumers will be made whole if the Commission finds that billing errors were a result on inaccurate billing by CMP.