MEMA offers emergency management news, emergency and safety information, upcoming events, training announcements and more through the Maine.gov subscription service. Learn more and sign up.
Other notification services:
MEMA no longer offers NWS weather alerts as part of our subscription services. We can recommerd the following services for weather and other hazard notifications. Your preferred local news source may also provide online weather information or automated messaging.
- American Red Cross Mobile Apps
- These mobile apps are for emergencies and everyday use. The "Emergency" “all-inclusive” app lets you receive more than 35 different severe weather and emergency alerts, to help keep you and your loved ones safe. For Apple or Android.
- FEMA: Download Mobile App
- From this page you can download FEMA's mobile app for Android, Apple or Blackberry mobile devices. Features timely weather alerts you can customize for your area, as well as preparedness and other information.
- FEMA: Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA)
- Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) are emergency messages sent by authorized government alerting authorities through your mobile carrier. Alerts include certain fast-breaking weather alerts (but not all alerts), Amber Alerts and national alerts.
- Maine Cooperative Snow Survey
- The Maine Cooperative Snow Survey collects, interprets, and distributes information on the depth and water content of Maine's snowpack in the late Winter and early Spring. You can sign up to be notified whenever maps are posted or updated.
- NWS: iNWS (Interactive NWS)
- A service of the National Weather Service, iNWS offers e-mail and text weather alerting customized by the user and is intended only for use by emergency managers, first responders, transportation and safety managers, public officials and the media.
- NWS: Listing of Email and SMS Weather Alert Services
- National Weather Service-provided listing of services that provide weather alerts, either free or for a fee. NWS notes that inclusion in the listing does not constitute an endorsement of any particular service.
- NWS: NOAA Weather Radio
- NOAA Weather Radio (NWR) is a nationwide network of radio stations broadcasting continuous weather information directly from the nearest NWS office. Weather Radios which pick up these broadcasts alert people while they’re sleeping or climbing a mountain to possibly hazardous situations, and are especially valuable in Maine where so many people enjoy outdoor recreation.
- USGS: Earthquake Notification System
- The Earthquake Notification Service (ENS) is a free service that sends you automated notification emails when earthquakes happen in your area. PLEASE NOTE: These are not earthquake warnings, as earthquakes cannot be predicted. They are notifications that an earthquake has occurred.
- USGS: WaterAlert
- The U.S. Geological Survey WaterAlert service sends e-mail or text (SMS) messages when certain parameters, as measured by a USGS stream gage or other real-time data-collection station.
Primary Information Resources
- Maine Cooperative Snow Survey
- National Weather Service Caribou Emergency Managers Self-Briefing Page
- National Weather Service Forecast Office Caribou Maine
- National Weather Service Forecast Office Gray Maine
- National Weather Service Gray Emergency Managers Self-Briefing Page
- Northeast River Forecast Center
- USGS NWIS Real-Time Streamflow Data for Maine