Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I get a list of Maine pilots?

On the Internet the following website has a listing: Also, several vendors provide the information on CD ROM.

How can I find information on aircraft accidents?

MaineDOT does not investigate aircraft accidents. The responsible agency is the National Transportation Safety Board. Their telephone number for public inquiry is 1-800-877-6799.

How can I get a GPS Approach for my airport?

GPS approaches are being developed by the FAA at a rate of 10 to 20 per year per state. MaineDOT determines priorities for approach development by looking at several factors for each airport including number of annual operations, number of based aircraft and the type of operations conducted at the airport. Currently only airports with a paved runway, lighting, and with an existing instrument approach are being looked at for submittal.

Do I need to be licensed to operate an airport?

No, but if you want to conduct commercial operations (i.e. flight training, aircraft repair, aircraft, hangar rental, etc.), the airport must be licensed by the state. If you want to operate an airport solely for your use, and the use of persons authorized by you, the airport need not be licensed.

Do I need to get approval to have a private-use airport?

If the proposed airport is to be located within 5 miles of a public-use airport, you are required to notify and get approval from MaineDOT and the Federal Aviation Administration. Furthermore, federal law requires that airports which will be used for longer than one year file FAA form 7480-1, "Notice of Landing Area Proposal. "

May I land my helicopter in my backyard?

First check local zoning regulations for permitted operations. If local zoning allows aircraft operations, and you are not going to use the landing site for more than ten operations per day, or for more than three days in any one week, and for no longer than a year, you can land your helicopter without any additional requirements. If you will exceed the one year period, or the number of daily operations, you are required to file FAA form 7480-1 (Notice of Landing Area Proposal).

May I land a seaplane on any lake?

If there are no local zoning laws prohibiting motorized aircraft operations on the PUBLIC lake, you can land on it. Private lakes are considered private property and you will require prior permission from the owner. However, Baxter State Park is closed, and the Allagash Wilderness Waterway is restricted. Restrictions do not apply to aircraft on state business or in emergency. No exceptions in the Baxter State Park area. Seaplane landings in the Allagash are allowed at the following locations:

  • Chamberlain Lake
  • Churchill Lake
  • Round Pond
  • Telos Lake
  • Umsaskis Lake
  • Nugent's Camps, Chamberlain Throroughfare Bridge, Lock Dam
  • Northern end near Heron Lake, The Jaws
  • Jalbert's Allagash Camps
  • Telos Landing
  • Forestry Camp
  • During winter, aircraft are permitted to land on frozen bodies of water within the Allagash Wilderness Waterway, except Allagash Lake. Current overnight fees in Allagash wilderness: $2/person/night, Maine residents; $3/person night, non-residents. No charge for under 10 years of age.

Other Locations:

  • Lake Auburn - Off limits to seaplanes pending further investigation
  • Knox County Water Authority Mirror Lake - Closed
  • York Water District
  • Chase's Pond - Closed to all motorized aircraft.
Which structures must be registered with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC)?

Unless specifically exempted, FAA notification and FCC registration is required for:

  • Any construction or alteration of more than 60.96 meters (200 feet) in height above ground level at its site.
  • Any construction or alteration of greater height than an imaginary surface extending outward and upward at one of the following slopes:
    • 100 to 1 for a horizontal distance of 6.10 kilometers (20,000 feet) from the nearest point of the nearest runway of each SPECIFIED AIRPORT with at least one runway more than 0.98 kilometers (3,200 feet) in actual length, excluding heliports;
    • 50 to 1 for a horizontal distance of 3.05 kilometers (10,000 feet) from the nearest point of the nearest runway of each SPECIFIED AIRPORT with its longest runway no more than 0.98 kilometers (3,200 feet) in actual length, excluding heliports;
    • 25 to 1 for a horizontal distance of 1.52 kilometers (5,000 feet) from the nearest point of the nearest landing and takeoff area of each heliport at a SPECIFIED AIRPORT.

Any construction or alteration that would be in an instrument approach area and available information indicates it might exceed an obstruction standard of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). In this case, the FAA would specifically ask you to file a notification - you would then be required to register the structure.

  • The term SPECIFIED AIRPORT, in the context above, refers to:
    • A public use airport listed in the Airport Directory of the current Airman's Information Manual or in the Airport Facilities Directory
    • An airport under construction, that is the subject of a notice or proposal on file with the FAA, and except for military airports, it is clearly indicated that the airport will be available for public use
    • An airport that is operated by an armed force of the United States.

The following types of antenna structures are specifically exempted from the FAA notification requirements and FCC requirements:

  • Any antenna structure that would be shielded by existing structures of a permanent and substantial character or by natural terrain or topographic features of equal or greater height, and would be located in the congested area of a city, town or settlement where it is evident beyond all reasonable doubt that the structure so shielded will not adversely affect safety in air navigation.
  • Any antenna structure of 6.10 meters (20 feet) or less in height except one that would increase the height of another antenna structure.
  • Any air navigation facility, airport visual approach or landing aid, aircraft arresting device, or meteorological device, of a type approved by the FAA, the location and height of which is fixed by its function
How do I register a proposed antenna structure, or an altered antenna structure whose overall height has increased?
  • Determine the location and height of the antenna structure
  • Notify the FAA using FAA form 7460-1
  • Obtain a final determination of "no hazard" from the FAA concerning the antenna structure
  • File FCC Form 854 and attach a copy of the most recent FAA determination of "no hazard" for the structure (no attachment needed if filing electronically).

Use the FCC Form 854, "Application for Antenna Structure Registration" to register a structure. There is no registration fee. To obtain a copy of Form 854 from the following sources:

  • Forms Distribution Center at 1 (800)-418-FORM (3676)
  • FCC's Office of Operations at 1 (800)-322-1117
  • Via the FCC's Fax-On-Demand system by calling (202) 418-0177 from the handset of your fax machine. Request the index to find out the document number for FCC Form 854. Remember, you must be calling from your fax machine to request the form in this manner.
  • Via the Internet at

To obtain a FAA Form 7460-1: