FACTS ABOUT MAINE...
- Has a population of over 1,000,000.
- Is about 320 miles long and 210 miles wide, and has a total
area of approximately 33,215 square miles.
- Has over 21,000 miles of public highways, exceeding the total
mileage of any other New England state.
- Is almost as big as all of the other five New England States
- Has one county (Aroostook) so big (6,453 square miles) that
it actually covers an area greater than the combined size of Connecticut
and Rhode Island.
- Claims America's first chartered town - York, chartered in
- Is recognized as one of the most healthful, beautiful and
interesting states in the nation.
- Has 17 million acres of forestland and 3,500 miles of indescribably
beautiful coastline, with bays, coves and similar indentations.
- Has 2,295 square miles of inland water area and over 2,000
- Is one of America's largest blueberry growing states, raising
90% of the low-bush blueberries in North America.
- Potatoes rank 3rd in acreage and 4th in production nationally.
- One of the mountains is approximately one mile high - Mt.
Katahdin (5,268 ft above sea level).
- Is nationally famed for the fine taste, texture and fresh
color of its seafood, superior traits due to all the cool, clear
waters which provide the perfect environment.
- Boasts 6,000 lakes and ponds and 5,100 rivers and streams
abounding land-locked salmon, trout, smallmouthed bass, pickerel
- Makes a variety of products from toothpicks to destroyers.
- Has more than 25 ski areas, including nationally-known Sugarloaf
USA which has a 9,000 ft. gondola line.
- Has 436,064 acres of state and national parks, including the
92-mile Allagash Wilderness Waterway in northern Maine.
- Abounds in natural assets - lakes, beaches, mountains, seacoast
- which make Maine the Land of Remembered Vacations.