Nonfarm Payroll Job Estimates
Nonfarm payroll jobs, as well as average hours and earnings estimates, come from the Current Employment Statistics (CES) program. The primary purpose of CES is to provide as close to a real-time look at the number of nonfarm payroll jobs in each industry sector as possible. Users should be aware that these estimates have a high degree of variability from month to month and are subject to potentially large revisions in either direction. Because of this we caution against basing conclusions exclusively on the change from one month to any other single month about the overall direction or rate of change in jobs. Users should look at the general trend over numerous months to evaluate the direction and rate of job change. Additional information on the size of the CES sample, estimate revisions, seasonal adjustment factors, and other details are available here.
Additional information on Maine's current employment situation can be found on our monthly news release.
Nonfarm wage and salary employment estimates are subject to revision the month after they are published and at the end of the year.
- Nonfarm Payroll Job Estimates by Industry for Maine and the Bangor, Lewiston-Auburn and Portland-South Portland MSAs
- Which Industries are Growing in Maine? (Interactive)
- Net Job Change in Maine for the Last 8 Recessions (Interactive)
- Average Annual Statewide, Bangor, Lewiston-Auburn, Portland-South Portland 1990-2019 (Excel)
- Total Nonfarm Employment 1939-2020 (Excel)
Hours and Earnings (Excel)
Maine Department of Labor
Center for Workforce Research & Information
Augusta, ME 04333-0118
Phone: (207) 623-7900
TTY: Maine Relay 711
Fax: (207) 287-2947