Influence and Initiate
“Influence” means to promote, support or oppose or defeat.
“Initiate” includes the collection of signatures and related activities to qualify a state or local initiative or referendum for the ballot.
21-A M.R.S.A. Section 1052(4-A) and 4(B)
The term "campaign" means any course of activities to influence the nomination or election of a candidate or to initiate or influence any of the following ballot measures:
- A people’s veto referendum under the Constitution of Maine, Article IV, Part Third, Section 17;
- A direct initiative of legislation under the Constitution of Maine, Article IV, Part Third, Section 18;
- An amendment to the Constitution of Maine under Article X, Section 4;
- A referendum vote on a measure enacted by the Legislature and expressly conditioned upon ratification by a referendum vote under the Constitution of Maine, Article IV, Part Third, Section 19;
- The ratification of the issue of bonds by the State or any agency thereof; and
- Any county or municipal referendum.
21-A M.R.S.A. Section 1052(1)
Political Action Committee
The term "political action committee:"
- Any separate or segregated fund established by any corporation, membership organization, cooperative or labor or other organization whose purpose is to initiate or influence a campaign;
- Any organization, including any corporation or association, that has as its major purpose initiating or influencing a campaign and that receives contributions or makes expenditures aggregating more than $1,500 in a calendar year for that purpose; and
- Any organization that does not have as its major purpose influencing candidate elections but that receives contributions or makes expenditures aggregating more than $5,000 in a calendar year for the purpose of influencing the nomination or election of any candidate to political office.
- Does not include:
- A candidate or a candidate's treasurer under section 1013-A, subsection 1;
- A candidate's authorized political committee under section 1013-A, subsection 2;
- A party committee under section 1013-A, subsection 3; or
- An organization whose only payments of money in the prior 2 years for the purpose of influencing a campaign in this State are contributions to candidates, party committees, political action committees or ballot question committees registered with the commission or a municipality and that has not raised and accepted any contributions during the calendar year for the purpose of influencing a campaign in this State.
21-A M.R.S.A. Section 1052(5)(A)