Skip Maine state header navigation
Maine Department of Public Safety
April 13, 2017
PHOTOS FROM THE PAST
1957 STOLEN CAR RING -- Detective James Milligan, leaning over the fender, and Captain Lloyd Hoxie with his pipe behind HQs with six stolen cars . All of the cars had been stolen by a man in the Brunswick area and then bought by a Randolph car dealer who paid a couple of hundred bucks for each, changed the vin numbers, and then resold them. Both the car thief and the car dealer were convicted. Milligan served from '45 to '66 and died in 1981. Hoxie served from '34 to '59 and died in 1982.
STATE POLICE RETIREES IN 1967 AT THE JEFFERSON IN WATERVILLE.
These were the men who were the first troopers of Maine, and most rode motorcycles before being issued cruisers.
It was the first time the retirees had gathered in a formal setting and some of them had been retired since the 1940s.
TROOP C - 1971-'72 at the Skowhegan barracks.
Front Row --
Harlan Pierson, Ed Wilson, Roger Parlin, Harold Scribner, Vince Donnell, Mel Graves, Herm Holbrook, Brad Whitten, Larry Gauthier
Pete Kyete, Ron Moody, Chick Love, Ronnie Hall, Dick Phippen, Art Roy, Frank Lilliantal, Charlie Tappen, Jerry LaPointe, Dale Hannington
Paris McIver, Dan Cote, Harold Fisher, Walt Williams, Gerry Peabody, Sam Houston, Ted Bowen, Burchell Morrell and Dick Arnold
Headquarters on Hospital St. in Augusta after the north wing was built in 1952. The south wing was constructed in 1965 on the AMHI side.
The station wagon is a 1954 Ford and the photo likely taken in ’55 or ’56. It obviously is a hot summer day with all the windows open and long before air conditioning was installed in the building.
1987 – Orono Dispatchers Denise Tenney and Jim Ryan with their new uniforms, the first for dispatchers. Ryan worked for State Police for more than 30 years.
1975 – Trooper Walt Williams along Hospital St. in Augusta in this publicity shot with the daughter of Public Information Officer Rick Moore.
The photo was taken by Corporal Peter McCarthy, who worked at the crime lab, located at that time in the basement of headquarters.
Williams retired in 1987 as a Corporal, McCarthy in ‘93 as a Lt.
Rick Moore served as the PIO for 13 years, leaving in 1987 to join the US Selective Service in Washington and retiring from there in 2012.