All students in Maine deserve to have a safe environment in which they can learn. The Maine Department of Education school security team provides information to schools and works with the Legislature to ensure that schools are prepared for all types of emergencies. School security is about leadership, planning and practice to mitigate, respond to and recover from a critical incident.
At the Department, school security and school safety are two separate concerns. School safety deals with general day-to-day safety operations, which includes, but is not limited to, chemical management, integrated pest management, playground operations and bullying prevention. For more information on school safety, visit the Maine DOE School Safety site.
This School Security site, on the other hand, deals with all types of emergency preparedness. These types of emergencies are called “all-hazards emergencies” and fall into three categories:
- Natural: Weather or geologic events such as a flood, ice condition, snow storm or earthquake.
- Technological: Infrastructure, chemical or mechanical events such as a bridge, train or plane failure or crash.
- Human: Violent human acts such as a cyber, shooter, bomb or terrorism attack.
See the School Security Emergency Operations glossary for other related terms.
To ensure that schools are prepared for all types of emergencies, Maine DOE school security collaborates with state and federal agencies. State agencies we work with include: Maine Department of Health and Human Services, Maine Emergency Management Agency, Maine National Guard and Maine State Police. On the federal level, the Maine DOE works with Federal Emergency Management Agency, Federal Bureau of Investigation and U.S. Departments of Education, Justice, Health and Human Services, and Homeland Security. Based on State laws and standards and federal laws and guidelines, we collaborate with these organizations to:
- Provide emergency preparedness information for schools
- Establish practices for emergency preparedness in schools
- Provide security information to schools
- Serve on the State Emergency Response Team
Transportation & Facilities Administrator