Restraint and Seclusion
Chapter 33: Rule Governing Physical Restraint and Seclusion establishes standards and procedures for the use of physical restraint and seclusion. Physical restraint and seclusion may only be used as an emergency intervention when the behavior of a student presents a risk of injury or harm to the student or others. The rule sets forth permitted and prohibited uses of restraint and seclusion, required notification and documentation of incidents of restraint or seclusion, aggregate reporting of incidents to administrators and to the Maine DOE, notification to parents, response to multiple incidents of restraint or seclusion of a student, local and state complaint processes and Maine DOE approval of training programs.
Overview and Awareness Information Course
In partnership with SafeSchools, the Maine DOE is providing a course to all Maine schools that is an overview of Chapter 33 at no cost to the local school system.
In accordance with Chapter 33,
“Annually, each covered entity shall provide overview and awareness information to all staff, including contracted providers, regarding the content of this rule and any local policies or procedures related to the use of physical restraint and seclusion.” (Section 4.2)
SafeSchools and Maine DOE collaborated to create this 25 minute, web based course specifically to address Chapter 33.
- This course meets the Chapter 33 requirement of “annual notification of rule and local policies” (Section 4.2)
- This course DOES NOT meet the requirement of having “a sufficient number of administrators or designees, general and special education staff, maintain certification in an approved training” (Section 12) See Directory of approved training programs
The Restraint and Seclusion Overview and Awareness Information Course can be presented in a small or large group setting, or on an individual basis. All staff of a “covered entity” receive individual logins. A description of this customized course can be found on SafeSchools’ Maine Courses page.
To register staff for the Restraint and Seclusion Overview and Awareness Information Course, contact Justin Moore at SafeSchools. He can be reached by calling 1-800-434-0154, ext 7028 or emailing at firstname.lastname@example.org
Under Chapter 33, each covered entity shall ensure that a sufficient number of administrators or designees, general and special education staff, maintain certification in an approved training program.
For training programs seeking approval from the Maine DOE
- 2013-15 Data Reported by Schools (xls, 40kb)
- 2015-16 Data Reported by Entities (xlsx, 30kb)
- File 2016-17 annual report of restraint and seclusion (due August 1)
- 2014 Report to Legislature per Resolves chapter 8
Resources & Information
- Guided Tour of the Original Chapter 33 Regulations (Flash*, approximately 90 minutes). Webinar explaining revisions to Chapter 33.
- Rule Chapter 33 Timelines/Requirements (RTF, 95KB)
- Non-Regulatory Guidance (RTF, 1.8MB)
- Maine DOE Restraint & Seclusion Incident Report Form (DOC, 31KB). Covered entities are not required to use this form to record incidents of restraint or seclusion, but proper completion of this form will ensure that the incident information required in Rule Chapter 33 is recorded.
- Emergency Prevention and De-escalation Strategies (RTF, 1.74MB)
- Management of Challenging Behaviors: Resources
- Maine DOE Complaint Process Protocol
- Maine DOE Rule Chapter 33 Questions and Answers
Student Assistance Coordinator