National Blue Ribbon Schools Program
The Blue Ribbon Schools Program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education, honors public and private elementary, middle, and high schools that are either high performing or have made significant strides in improving student achievement, especially among disadvantaged students.
The program is part of a larger Department of Education effort to identify and disseminate knowledge about best school leadership and teaching practices. Each year since 1982, the U.S. Department of Education has sought out schools where students attain and maintain high academic goals, including those that beat the odds.
The Maine Department of Education works with the U.S. Department of Education to identify schools honored through the Blue Ribbon Schools program.
Maine School Honorees
Schools honored through the National Blue Ribbon Schools must meet federal eligibility standards for academic performance. Schools that are eligible are nominated by their state education commissioner, and then apply to the U.S. Department of Education for the honor.
Honoree Year: 2015
- Minot Consolidated School
- Two schools from Maine win National Blue Ribbon recognition, Sept. 29, 2015
Honoree Year: 2014
- Maine elementary school receives national award for increasing student achievement, BDN Maine, Sept. 30, 2014
- Turner Elementary named Maine's National Blue Ribbon School, Oct. 15, 2014
Honoree Year: 2013
- Williams-Cone Elementary School, Topsham
- Topsham elementary named National Blue Ribbon School, Sept. 24, 2013
Honoree Year: 2012
- Hope Elementary School
- Solon Elementary School
- Two Maine schools receive national recognition, Sept 10, 2012
Honoree Year: 2011
- Orono Middle School
- Eliot Elementary School
- Two Maine schools receive national honor, Sept. 19, 2011
Honoree Year: 2010
- Kennebunkport Consolidated School
- James F. Doughty School, Bangor
- Two from Maine recognized as National Blue Ribbon Schools, Dec. 7, 2010