Administrative Letters on Policy & Statute
Rules and statues that apply to providing educational services for English learners
- Administrative Letter 27 Legal Requirements to Provide English Language Acquisition Services to English Learners
- Administrative Letter 20 Change in English Learner Identification and Exit Criteria
As required in State and federal laws, districts are responsible for the timely identification of ELs, as well the timely notification of parents as to EL placements.
Policies and Procedures
States must have policies, procedures and effective implementation of practices that are aligned with and support the implementation of ESEA Title III.
- Maine Statute: Bilingual Education. Title 20-A: Education The language of instruction in elementary and secondary schools shall meet these requirements
- Maine Statute: Non-Discrimination. Title VI: Administrative Procedures and Services
- Legal Provisions for the Education of ELs. Court cases that have formed the regulations and guidelines that direct and impact Maine’s ESL/Bilingual Programs to ensure English learners are properly and adequately served.
Title III of the Elementary and Secondary Act (ESEA). Title III (as reauthorized by the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015) provides funding to support programs for English learners and establishes a system for holding recipient states accountable for their performance in raising English learners' achievement and English language proficiency outcomes.
Language Use Survey and Parent Letter
Language use Survey and Parent Letter. The Language use Survey (LUS) must be administered to every newly enrolled student (pre-Kindergarten through grade 12) and schools are required under federal civil rights laws to identify all students whose primary or home language is not English.
A Lau Plan, named after the landmark Lau vs. Nichols U.S. Supreme Court Decision of 1974, is an equal access plan that protects English Learners (ELs). All Maine SAUs are required to have a board-approved Lau Plan. For assistance, contact April Perkins at email@example.com