Career and technical education (CTE) at the high school level is governed by Chapter 313 of Title 20-A of the Maine Revised Statutes. This Chapter provides the legal background for how Maine CTE centers and regions were formed, how centers and regions differ, and the powers and duties of the State Board of Education as it applies to CTE.
Other statutes that apply to CTE include:
- Approval of Programs and Courses; Industry Standards (20-A 8306-B). Sets forth how programs and courses are approved as well as the requirement for industry standards. Please contact Joseph Haney at email@example.com
- Career and Technical Instruction (20-A 4725). Sets forth the requirement for all Maine school administrative units to provide career and technical education to all students.
- Centers (20-A 8401) and Regions (20-A 8451). Discusses the differences between CTE centers and regions.
- Middle School Level CTE (Ch 171, aka LD1576) - An Act to Enable Earlier Introduction of CTE in Maine Schools.
- Programs. Discusses programs to be offered at CTE centers (20-A 8402) and regions (20-A 8451-A)
- Regional School Calendars; Plan; Rules (20-A 4801.2-A). Discusses the requirement for school calendars with no more than five differing instructional days across the schools affiliated with a CTE center or region.
- Satisfactory Completion (20-A 4722.3). Discusses how students may use their CTE studies to meet high school graduation requirements.
- School Days, Holidays, Special Observances (20-A, Chapter 209, Sections 4801-4805). Outlines how school days, holidays and special observances are to be handled.
Maine DOE rules lay out more specifically the requirements set forth in statutes. The major rule governing CTE in Maine is Standard Criteria for Maine Secondary Vocational Programs, Chapter 232, which details minimum standards, guidelines and procedures to be used in planning, implementing and evaluating CTE courses and programs.
Other Maine DOE rules that apply to CTE include:
- Equal Educational Opportunity, Chapter 4 (DOC). Assures nondiscrimination to education, including CTE, on the basis of gender.
- Live or Outside Work, Chapter 237 (DOC). Sets forth how hands-on aspects of training drawing on work from outside the school community is to be handled.
- Vocational Program Approval Procedure, Chapter 231 (DOC). Details program approval and funding policies and procedures.