**** The Maine Charter School Commission website is under construction and currently there are some files that are too large to post. If you are looking for a report that you can't find on the website, please contact the office and we'll be happy to provide it to you. ***
The Maine Charter School Commission is governed by Maine's charter school law and separate rules adopted by the Commission.
Maine's charter school law outlines the responsibilities of the Charter School Commission and allows it to authorize up to 10 schools throughout the state during the first 10 years of Maine's charter school law.
- Maine Revised Statutes Title 20-A Chapter 112: Public Charter Schools
- Maine State Department of Education 05-071 Rule 140, Public Charter Schools
Maine's charter school law authorizes the Charter School Commission to adopt rules related to its procedures for authorizing public charter schools.
- 90-668 Chapter 1, Commission Organization and Operation (this rule chapter describes the organization and operation of the Maine Charter School Commission)
- 90-668 Chapter 2, Procedures for Commission Authorization of Public Charter Schools (this rule chapter articulates the Maine Charter School Commission's procedures for soliciting, accepting and reviewing applications to form public charter schools.
- 90-668 Chapter 3, Procedures for Charter School Renewal (this rule sets forth the process by which the Maine Charter School Commission decides whether to renew the charter of a public charter school according to Title 20-A, 2411 of the Maine Revised Statutes, "Charter Term and Renewal")
View the Secretary of State's Rule Chapters page for Independent Agencies
Chart of Applicable Laws to Public Charter Schools