Ensuring young learners build strong proficiency with early literacy skills is one of the most vital missions of K-3 education. Reading, writing, listening and speaking are all critical abilities for our future citizens and require a strong foundation. The MoMEntum K-3 Literacy Pilot was a Maine Department of Education project designed to improve the literacy achievement of students in kindergarten through grade three in 9 Maine schools. Teachers in the pilot schools were engaged in ongoing professional learning, delivered by trained literacy and technology integration specialists, to strengthen literacy instruction, including the use of iPad technology provided by Apple, Inc.
The schools that participated in the pilot included:
- Limestone Community School in Limestone
- Calais Elementary School in Calais
- Ellsworth Elementary in Ellsworth
- Leroy Smith School in Winterport
- China Primary School in China
- Dirigo Elementary in Peru
- Jefferson Village School in Jefferson
- Saccarappa Elementary School in Westbrook
- Carl J. Lamb School in Springvale
The Department has put together several resources highlighting the MoMEntum pilot.
For more information contact:
Lee Anne Larsen, Early Learning Team Coordinator
Danielle Saucier, Elementary Literacy Specialist
Jon Graham, Elementary Digital Learning Specialist