Post-secondary educational institutions that award accredited associate’s, baccalaureate, or graduate degrees are known as degree-granting institutions. Several public and private schools both in-state and out-of-state are authorized to operate in Maine, and new institutions are able to apply for authorization.
List of Higher Education Institutions Authorized by Maine
- Maine Degree-Granting Institutions. Public and private schools authorized to issue degrees in Maine.
- Out-of-State Degree-Granting Institutions. These out-of-state institutions are authorized to operate in Maine.
List of Higher Education Institutions Exempt from Authorization in Maine
- Exempt Schools. More than 300 schools are exempt from the oversight of Maine law due to the lack of physical presence in the State.
Process for Obtaining Authorization or Exemption from State of Maine
- Take Exemption Eligibility Survey. Providers of online courses or programs must complete this survey to determine eligibility for exemption.
- Become Authorized as a Degree-Granting Institution. Learn how to establish a degree-granting institution in Maine.