The following laws and rules are associated with Maine gifted and talented programs.
- Chapter 104: Educational Programs for Gifted & Talented Children. Chapter 104 is the rule under which gifted programs in Maine are developed and evaluated.
- Chapter 311: Gifted & Talented Students. Chapter 311 gives legislative recognition of gifted and talented students and amends and updates funding provisions that are no longer applicable.
- Recent legislative changes to Chapter 311. See Part H.
- Chapter 312: Maine School of Science & Mathematics (MSSM). Chapter 312 establishes the MSSM. This section also includes funding, the responsibilities of the board of trustees and the programs and operations of the school.
- Endorsement 690: Gifted & Talented Teacher. The requirements for the gifted and talented endorsement are listed and fully described under Chapter 115: Part II: Requirements for Specific Certificates and Endorsements. See Chapter 115, Part II, pages 35-36.