The Maine Department of Education is committed to meeting the needs of all learners, as outlined in our strategic plan. Gifted and talented educational programs serve students who excel or demonstrate the potential to excel beyond their peers in terms of general intellectual ability, a specific academic aptitude or artistic ability. The Department requires the state’s schools to identify and service gifted and talented students. A comprehensive, K-12 gifted and talented program ensures such students are provided with challenging curriculum commensurate with their abilities.
Laws & Rules
The following laws and rules are associated with Maine gifted and talented programs.
- Chapter 104: Educational Programs for Gifted & Talented Children. Chapter 104 is the rule under which gifted programs in Maine are developed and evaluated.
- Chapter 311: Gifted & Talented Students. Chapter 311 gives legislative recognition of gifted and talented students and amends and updates funding provisions that are no longer applicable.
- Recent legislative changes to Chapter 311. See Part H.
- Chapter 312: Maine School of Science & Mathematics (MSSM). Chapter 312 establishes the MSSM. This section also includes funding, the responsibilities of the board of trustees and the programs and operations of the school.
- Endorsement 690: Gifted & Talented Teacher. The requirements for the gifted and talented endorsement are listed and fully described under Chapter 115: Part II: Requirements for Specific Certificates and Endorsements. See Chapter 115, Part II, pages 35-36.