The Maine Department of Education is committed to meeting the needs of all learners, as outlined in our strategic plan. We provide reimbursement to school districts for certain approved costs that support locally-developed “gifted and talented” programs and provide professional development opportunities and technical assistance to school districts in instructional practices such as differentiation, innovative pathways, and other supports for meeting the diverse needs of Maine’s learners.
A preview of the application questions can be viewed below. Gifted and Talented Applications must be submitted through the Complete Simplified Application button above.
|Initial Application||GT Gifted and Talented Program Initial Application|
|Renewal Application||Gifted and Talented Renewal Application|
|Waiver Application||Gifted and Talented Waiver Application|
Laws & Rules
The following laws and rules are associated with Maine gifted and talented programs.
- Chapter 104: Educational Programs for Gifted & Talented Children. Chapter 104 is the rule under which gifted programs in Maine are developed and evaluated.
- Chapter 311: Gifted & Talented Students. Chapter 311 gives legislative recognition of gifted and talented students and amends and updates funding provisions that are no longer applicable.
- Recent legislative changes to Chapter 311. See Part H.
- Chapter 312: Maine School of Science & Mathematics (MSSM). Chapter 312 establishes the MSSM. This section also includes funding, the responsibilities of the board of trustees and the programs and operations of the school.
- Endorsement 690: Gifted & Talented Teacher. The requirements for the gifted and talented endorsement are listed and fully described under Chapter 115: Part II: Requirements for Specific Certificates and Endorsements. See Chapter 115, Part II, pages 35-36.