Note: We are no longer mailing fingerprint cards or certificates as proof of credentials. For proof of credentials please Check Application Status. You may print the application status screen for proof of credentials.
Authority, Forms & FAQ's
- Chapter 13 Credentials. Qualifying Examinations for Teachers, Educational Specialists and Administrators.
- Chapter 115 Credentials. Certification, Authorization and Approval of Education Personnel.
- Chapter 119. Adjudicatory Proceedings on Certification Issues.
- Teacher Induction. Purposes, standards and procedures for Professional Learning Community Support Systems, which assist educators in movement to new tiers of certification and management of the credential renewal processes.
- Title 20-A, Chapter 501. Certification and Registration of Teachers.
- Title 20-A, Chapter 502. Certification of Educational Personnel.
- Title 20-A, Section 6103. Criminal History Record Information Conviction Data.
- Affidavit of Employment. (RTF, 4KB) Affidavits allow eligible teachers to be issued a one-year certificate. Affidavits come from your local Superintendent's Office.
- Waiver Affidavit. (DOC, 16KB) The waiver affidavit form needs to be submitted to the Certification Office by the Superintendent only, if a waiver is required to hire a teacher who is ineligible for a certificate, in emergency instances only.
- Establish "Highly Qualified" Teacher Status. Complete the Highly Qualified Teacher Data Survey. For local use only.
- Fast-Track Recommendation Form. (RTF, 3KB) Recommend a candidate for a five-year professional certificate.
- Professional Learning Community Support System Certification. (RTF, 167KB) Sample form
- Verification of ParaPro Score.(RTF, 2KB) After you have received a score on the ParaPro Test, please complete this form and submit it to your district's NCLBA contact person. For local use only. (Form EF-C-308P)
- Create an Account - Step by Step. Please download this document for step by step instructions on how to create your online account.
- Renew your Application - Step by Step. Please download this document for step by step instructions on how to submit your renewal application in the new online system.
- Certification & Endorsement Requirements. List of certifications and endorsements with requirements for each.
- Check Application Status. Curious about how far we've gotten in your application process? Check through NEO.
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards. A voluntary, highly esteemed professional development opportunity for teachers with three or more years of experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where is my certificate?
- We are no longer mailing fingerprint cards or certificates as proof. For proof of credentials please Check Application Status. You may print the NEO application status screen for proof of credentials as needed.
- When is the new online system going live?
- It is now live for renewal applications. Please see the renewal page for the link and support documents. The certification team is still accepting paper applications in the mail for initial certifications.
- Who needs to be certified?
- Teachers, Educational Specialists, Administrators and Educational Technicians must hold an authorization.
- How long does certification last?
- Conditional, Transitional, and Targeted Need are three-year certificates. Provisional is a two-year certificate, and professional is a five-year certificate.
- How may I check the status of my application?
- Visit the NEO Portal to check your application's status.
- I have a question about testing requirements for educators in Maine. Where would I find related information?
- Testing information can be found on the Educational Testing Service (ETS) Praxis website.
- What if I have a transcript that's from outside of the United States?
- If you would like to use a transcript that is from another country, we accept any evaluation organization that is certified under the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). For additional information please visit National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES �).
If you have other questions, please read through the Certification website materials first. Contact our office if you have further questions.