All employees of school systems and persons employed by others on behalf of school systems who are not certified or authorized will be required to obtain a Criminal History Record Check (CHRC) approval from the Maine Department of Education based on fingerprints.
Approval is not intended to reflect the individual's qualifications or ability to perform the job assigned. All school personnel requiring a Criminal History Record Check approval will be issued a temporary approval card, valid for eight weeks upon submission of an approval application and $15 to the Certification Office. In order to continue employment in an approval category after the eight-week period, the individual must be fingerprinted at an approved fingerprint site during the eight-week temporary approval period. Once the Certification Office receives the criminal history record information and clears the application, a five-year card will be issued.
You must have your fingerprints taken at a Maine approved fingerprint site. Fingerprints taken for other purposes and at other places (such as your local police station, military facility, government office, bank) will not be accepted.
- Register for fingerprinting online with the Maine Department of Public Safety. If you do not register, you will not be able to have your fingerprints taken. There is a one-time $55 fee for this process.
- Take your confirmation number (received after registration) and a picture ID (a driver's license or Maine State ID is preferred) to the fingerprint site.
- Complete the application (DOC, 35KB) and provide an explanation to questions to which you answered "yes."
- If you answered "yes" to Question 1: for each conviction, attach a brief explanation stating when and what the conviction was. If further information is requested, you will need to provide attested copies of the Judgment and Commitment papers (including probation conditions). These documents may be obtained from the Clerk of Courts where you were convicted. This includes OUI and negotiating a worthless instrument.
- If you answered yes to question 2 and/or 3: attach an explanation for each situation.
- If you answered "yes" on a previous application and there have been no additional convictions, submit a statement that there have been no new convictions since the previous "yes" was submitted.
- Send the approval application to the Department of Education. A $15 non-refundable fee is to be sent with this application. Make check payable to: Treasurer, State of Maine..
Additional Fingerprinting Information
- From the fingerprint cards, state and federal criminal history record checks will be conducted. The results of the state and federal criminal history record checks will be forwarded to the Maine DOE to be used for the issuance or denial of approvals. This information is confidential and cannot be shared with a school system, professional organization such as the Maine Education Association, or anyone else. There will be procedures in place by which an individual may access the information received by the Maine DOE, but no one else may have access to this information. The Maine State Bureau of Identification will retain the fingerprints in an electronic civil file to be used for renewal purposes.
- If you have applied for the CHRC approval and if you are eligible, you will receive your approval card after we receive the results of the criminal history record check from the FBI and the Maine State Police. However, additional time is needed to review criminal conviction information.
- If you are not eligible, you will receive notification in writing.