Programs & Initiatives
This page describes both Maine Department of Education initiatives and visual and performing arts programs and initiatives, the majority of which involve collaboration with the Maine DOE.Visual and Performing Arts Programs and Initiatives:
- Excellence in Visual and Performing Arts Education: Student Art Exhibits. Starting in the 2015-16 school year, the Maine DOE and the Maine Arts Commission will host rotating exhibits displayed throughout the State House complex and in the Department of Education.
- Fostering Artful Early Childhood Classrooms.
- Maine Arts Education Resource Project – Integration. The Maine DOE invites you to be part of a brand new professional development opportunity, The Maine Arts Education Resource Project – Integration (MAERP-I). MAERP-I is looking to bring together teams of teachers and artists to explore and create arts integration classroom units to be shared on the Maine Arts Education Resource Bank.
- Maine Arts Leadership Initiative (MALI). The Maine Arts Leadership Initiative (MALI) is committed to the development of teacher leaders to ensure deep understanding and meaningful implementation of high quality teaching, learning, and assessment in the arts.
- Education Evolving: Maine's Plan for Putting Learners First. The Department's strategic plan that sets out objectives and action steps for building an education system in Maine that meets the needs of all learners, from early childhood into adulthood, and prepares them for college, careers and civic life.
- Getting to Proficiency: Helping Maine Graduate Every Student Prepared. The Maine DOE provides technical assistance, resources and guidance for school districts to implement the proficiency-based diploma and to do so in a way that promotes student learning and achievement of the Maine Learning Results.
- Maine Learning Results. The Maine Learning Results were most recently updated in 2011 to include Common Core as the standards for math and English language arts, better preparing our students for success in college, career and civic life by creating deeper, more rigorous and clearer expectations for learning.