Green Sea Urchins (Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis) in Maine
— Fishery, Monitoring, and Research Information
Maine's Commercial Sea Urchin Fishery
- Annual Maine sea urchin landings
- Counts of Maine's commercial sea urchin licenses - pdf file, 2 pages
- Brief description of Maine's fishery and DMR survey - pdf file, 2 pages
- "The Green Sea Urchin in Maine, Fishery and Biology" - a general summary by Stanley Chenoweth, DMR, 1994
Monitoring Maine's Sea Urchin Stock
- Summary data report from Maine DMR's sea urchin monitoring programs, August 2015 - pdf file, 95 pages, 2.4 MB
- Five-year (2010-2014) report from Maine DMR's sea urchin port sampling and dive survey programs, March 2015 - pdf file, 40 pages, 1.4mb
- Five-year (2005-2009) report from Maine's sea urchin port sampling and dive survey programs, March 2010 - pdf file, 96 pages, 1.2mb
Maine Sea Urchin Research
- Blue Hill Bay limited access area for research
- List of sea urchin projects funded by the Maine sea urchin research fund, brief project descriptions, 2007 - pdf file, 5 pages, 116 kb
- "Green Gold - Scientific Findings for Management of Maine's Sea Urchin Fishery" - by Peter Taylor, 2004 - pdf file, 32 pages, 2 MB
- 1994 Workshop on the management and biology of the green sea urchin, J. Harris and H.A.Carr, eds. - pdf file, 126 pages, 5 MB
- Project results, most recent first
- Diver culling-on-bottom vs straight raking, and a translocation experiment, 2011 - pdf file, 67 pages, 1.7 MB
- Canthaxanthin in Maine sea urchins, 2009 - pdf file, 22 pages, 615 kb
- Canthaxanthin in sea urchins from under salmon pens in Cobscook Bay, November 2007 - pdf file, 5 pages, 366 kb
- Report by Paul Molyneaux on sea urchin fisheries in Chile, 2007 - pdf file, 16 pages, 1.1 mb
- Effectiveness of escape panels in urchin drags - 2007, pdf file, 63 pages, 1.85 mb
- Sea urchin conservation areas in Maine: winter survey results 2000 - 2003 - Richard Wahle and Julien Gaudette, 2004 - pdf file, 37 pages, 259 kb
For more information, see John Vavrinec's PhD thesis and the Wahle Lab page
- A simulation framework for developing optimal sampling strategies for the Maine sea urchin stock - by Robert Grabowski, Yong Chen, Robert Russell, and Margaret Hunter, 2003 - pdf file, 54 pages, 898 kb
- Development, evaluation, and application of a stock assessment framework for the Maine sea urchin stock - Yong Chen, Margaret Hunter, and Minoru Kanaiwa, 2003 - pdf file, 113 pages, 1.4 mb
- Estimating the Maine green sea urchin stock biomass using a spatial statistics approach - Robert Grabowski, Robert Russell, Yong Chen and Margaret Hunter - pdf file, 45 pages, 1.1 mb
- Reseeding the green sea urchin in depleted habitats - Amanda Leland, John Vavrinec, and Dr. Robert Steneck, U. Maine, 2002 - pdf file, 25 pages, 214 kb
For more information, see Amanda Leland's masters thesis and Robert Steneck's publications.
- Results of Zone 2 urchin harvester poll, February 2003 - pdf file, 26 pages, 677 kb
- Results of Zone 1 urchin harvester poll, December 2002 - pdf file, 15 pages, 393 kb
- Testing two large-mesh sea urchin diver catch bags - summary, pdf file, 2 pages, 290 kb
Testing two large-mesh sea urchin diver catch bags - full report by Margaret Hunter, 2002 - pdf file, 31 pages, 1.5 mb
- Cobscook Bay urchin relocation report - Robert Russell, 2001 - pdf file, 17 pages, 652 kb
- Temporal and spatial variability in the relationships between adult size, maturity, and fecundity - Robert Vadas & Brian Beal, 1999 - PDF file, 136 pages, 4MB
- An economic analysis of the market for Maine sea urchins - James Wilen & Cathy Wessells, 1997 - pdf file, 88 pages, 4.0 mb
For more Maine sea urchin research information, go to the University of Maine web site, and search for "sea urchin".
instructions and help
- If you would like to receive notices of sea urchin meetings and news, please subscribe here.
- PDF files on this site may require Adobe Reader software (download here free) to view or print. If you require an alternate format, please contact Maggie Hunter.
- Please contact Nick Popoff with questions about Maine's sea urchin fishery management.
Please contact Maggie Hunter with questions about research and monitoring.