Green Sea Urchins (Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis) in Maine
— Fishery, Monitoring, and Research Information
Maine's Commercial Sea Urchin Fishery
- Annual Maine sea urchin landings
- Counts of Maine's commercial sea urchin licenses, pdf file, 2 pages
- Brief description of Maine's fishery and DMR survey, pdf file, 2 pages
- "The Green Sea Urchin in Maine, Fishery and Biology", a general summary by Stanley Chenoweth, DMR, 1994
Monitoring Maine's Sea Urchin Stock
- Five-year (2015–2019) report from Maine DMR's sea urchin port sampling and dive survey programs, July 2020, pdf file, 55 pages, 1.8 MB
- Summary data report from Maine DMR's sea urchin monitoring programs, August 2015, pdf file, 95 pages, 2.4 MB
- Five-year (2010–2014) report from Maine DMR's sea urchin port sampling and dive survey programs, March 2015, pdf file, 40 pages, 1.4 MB
- Five-year (2005–2009) report from Maine's sea urchin port sampling and dive survey programs, March 2010, pdf file, 96 pages, 1.2 MB
Maine Sea Urchin Research
- Blue Hill Bay limited access area for research
- List of sea urchin projects funded by the Maine sea urchin research fund, brief project descriptions, 2007, pdf file, 5 pages, 116 kb
- "Green Gold - Scientific Findings for Management of Maine's Sea Urchin Fishery" by Peter Taylor, 2004, pdf file, 32 pages, 2 MB
- 1994 Workshop on the management and biology of the green sea urchin, J. Harris and H.A.Carr, eds., pdf file, 126 pages, 5 MB
- Project results, most recent first
- See above for results of surveys, port sampling, and other monitoring projects
- Diver culling-on-bottom vs straight raking, and a translocation experiment, 2011, pdf file, 67 pages, 1.7 MB
- Canthaxanthin in Maine sea urchins, 2009 - pdf file, 22 pages, 615 kb
- Canthaxanthin in sea urchins from under salmon pens in Cobscook Bay, November 2007, pdf file, 5 pages, 366 kb
- Report by Paul Molyneaux on sea urchin fisheries in Chile, 2007, pdf file, 16 pages, 1.1 mb
- Effectiveness of escape panels in urchin drags, 2007, pdf file, 63 pages, 1.85 mb
- Sea urchin conservation areas in Maine: winter survey results 2000 – 2003, by Richard Wahle and Julien Gaudette, 2004, pdf file, 37 pages, 259 kb
For more information, see John Vavrinec's PhD thesis and the Wahle Lab page
- A simulation framework for developing optimal sampling strategies for the Maine sea urchin stock, by Robert Grabowski, Yong Chen, Robert Russell, and Margaret Hunter, 2003, pdf file, 54 pages, 898 kb
- Development, evaluation, and application of a stock assessment framework for the Maine sea urchin stock, by Yong Chen, Margaret Hunter, and Minoru Kanaiwa, 2003, pdf file, 113 pages, 1.4 mb
- Estimating the Maine green sea urchin stock biomass using a spatial statistics approach, by Robert Grabowski, Robert Russell, Yong Chen and Margaret Hunter, pdf file, 45 pages, 1.1 mb
- Reseeding the green sea urchin in depleted habitats, by Amanda Leland, John Vavrinec, and Dr. Robert Steneck, U. Maine, 2002, pdf file, 25 pages, 214 kb
For more information, see Amanda Leland's masters thesis and Robert Steneck's publications.
- Results of Zone 2 urchin harvester poll, February 2003, pdf file, 26 pages, 677 kb
- Results of Zone 1 urchin harvester poll, December 2002, pdf file, 15 pages, 393 kb
- Testing two large-mesh sea urchin diver catch bags, summary, pdf file, 2 pages, 290 kb
Testing two large-mesh sea urchin diver catch bags, full report by Margaret Hunter, 2002, pdf file, 31 pages, 1.5 mb
- Cobscook Bay urchin relocation report - Robert Russell, 2001. pdf file, 17 pages, 652 kb
- Temporal and spatial variability in the relationships between adult size, maturity, and fecundity, by Robert Vadas & Brian Beal, 1999, pdf file, 136 pages, 4MB
- An economic analysis of the market for Maine sea urchins, by James Wilen & Cathy Wessells, 1997, pdf file, 88 pages, 4.0 mb
For more Maine sea urchin research information, go to the University of Maine web site, and search for "sea urchin".
instructions and help
- If you would like to receive notices of sea urchin meetings and news, please subscribe here.
- PDF files on this site may require Adobe Reader software (download here free) to view or print. If you require an alternate format, please contact Maggie Hunter.
- Please contact Erin Wilkinson with questions about Maine's sea urchin fishery management.
Please contact Maggie Hunter with questions about research and monitoring.