Green Sea Urchins (Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis) in Maine
If you would like to receive notices of sea urchin meetings and news, please subscribe here.
- From DMR
- August 5, 2021: Season calendars for the 2021-2022 season have been finalized, and are similar to last season. (PDF file, 3 pages) Daily tote limits remain the same as last season (nine for Zone 1 and six for Zone 2).
- September 6, 2017: Blue Hill Bay limited access area for research, and vessel tracker requirement for Zone 2 harvesters who fish in this area (5-year project; 2021-22 is the final season)
- In the Media
- June 29, 2019: Federal rule changes should make it easier to ship sea urchins
- July 22, 2017: Boston.com — Boston chefs love this seafood delicacy only from Maine
- November 21, 2016: The Working Waterfront — Urchin harvest begins downeast (with good pictures on a dragger)
- September 23, 2016: Bangor Daily News — State hopes new card system can help revive struggling urchin fishery (with good video about diving and selling)
- January 2015: CNN — The thorny business of sea urchins (with video)
- Maine Sea Urchin Zone Council Page
- Maine Sea Urchin Fishery Laws (scroll down to subchapter 2-C) and Regulations (see Chapter 26)
- Commercial Fishing License Applications (see Scallop, Sea Urchin and Sea Cucumber Harvesting License Application)
- Charts of limited access areas: Blue Hill Bay Whiting and Dennys Bay
- Maine Sea Urchin Fishery and Research Information
- Maine Sea Grant's Maine Seafood Guide - Sea Urchin page
- Zone 1 draggers who wish to change their early/late season designation must do so by November 15.
- Zone 1 divers who wish to change their early/late season designation must do so by August 15.
- Zone 2 divers and draggers who wish to change their early/late season designation must do so by August 15.
- Harvesters who wish to switch zones must apply by July 31. Applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. A switch from Zone 1 to Zone 2 is only allowed if there is an applicant who wishes to switch from Zone 2 to Zone 1, and vice versa.
- Season switching and zone switching applications are available on our licensing page under "Other Forms" (unless the annual deadline has passed).
- For more information, call the DMR licensing division at 624-6550, option 2.