Blue Hill Bay Limited Access Area
The Blue Hill Bay – Upper Jericho Bay area is a limited access area for sea urchin research. Zone 2 harvesters who wish to fish in the area are required to have a vessel tracking system on board their vessel when fishing for urchins. The trackers are provided by DMR at no charge. Only one tracker is required per vessel, even if several divers fish from the vessel. To get a tracker, please fill out the application below and mail, e-mail, or fax to the address on the application. One of our staff will contact you about the quickest way to get the tracker to you. If you need one immediately, or have questions, please contact Maggie Hunter. Here are links to some related documents:
- Application form to get a tracker for the 2021–2022 season (PDF file, 1 page)
- A chart of the area and the text of the regulation describing the tracker requirement (PDF file, 2 pages)
- Policy on when trackers have to be turned on (PDF file, 2 pages, 8-24-17)
- Maine sea urchin regulations, including limited access areas — See Chapter 26
- 2020–2021 season calendars (PDF file, 3 pages)
instructions and help
- If you would like to receive notices of sea urchin meetings and news, please subscribe here.
- PDF files on this site may require Adobe Reader software (download here free) to view or print. If you require an alternate format, please contact Maggie Hunter.
- Please contact Erin Wilkinson with questions about Maine's sea urchin fishery management.
Please contact Maggie Hunter with questions about research and monitoring.