2016-17 Scallop Season Limited Access Areas
Limited Access Areas are being utilized as a rebuilding tool to ensure that areas of high productivity have limited fishing effort in them to aid in spawning and reproduction. For Zones 1 & 2, Limited Access Areas will be open for harvest one day/week starting in December 2016 for divers and January 2017 for draggers, with separate days for divers and draggers (check calendars). For Zone 3 (Cobscook), the Whiting & Dennys Bays Limited Access Area will open in December 2016 to all gear types, with separate days for draggers (Wednesdays) and divers ( Fridays or Saturdays- check calendars).
In Zone 2, there are two NEW Limited Access Areas; Somes Sound & Moosabec Reach.
High-resolution charts with boundary descriptions (In all charts, Limited Access Areas are highlighted in GREEN):
- Zone 1 Casco Bay Limited Access Area Chart with Regulation (9 MB jpg file)
- Zone 1 Damariscotta/Sheepscot Limited Access Area Chart with Regulation (10.5 MB jpg file) - Sheepscot River is CLOSED for the season
- Zone 1 Muscongus/West Pen Bay Limited Access Area Chart with Regulation (9 MB jpg file) - Muscongus Bay is CLOSED for the season
- NEW Zone 2: Somes Sound Limited Access Area (MDI)(6.3 MB)
- NEW Zone 2: Moosabec Reach Limited Access Area(1.7MB)
- Zone 3 Whiting & Denny's Bays Limited Access Area Chart with Regulation (6 MB jpg file)
Please note that in Zone 1, significant portions of the Limited Access Areas are CLOSED this year under targeted closures. Please review the charts below.