Guidance for Maine Elver Fishermen to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19
The following guidelines are specifically adapted to the unique conditions faced by Maine's elver harvesters and are consistent with those issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to prevent the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
• Maintain a minimum of 6 feet of distance from others
• Limit travel with others in the same vehicle
• Spread out fishing effort on waterways as much as possible to achieve a minimum of 6 feet of distance between harvesters
• Fish as close to your home as possible to limit travel throughout the state
• You will be expected to sell a minimum of 1 pound or more per sales transaction, so plan harvesting and sales accordingly
While at Dealerships
• When possible call dealers and make an appointment prior to showing up
• Maintain a minimum of 6 feet of distance from others while at the dealers - no group gatherings at dealers
• Stay in your vehicle until you are instructed by the dealer to conduct a sales transaction • Carry your own pen to sign your slip
• Wash hands or sanitize your hands before and after each transaction.
• There will be no bathroom facilities available at dealers
• Keep your interactions with dealers or others at the dealer as short as possible
• When possible, swipe card readers will be located outside dealers and you will be expected to swipe your own card, sign your own slip and leave it in a container provided by the dealer
• Review rules for conducting sales transactions that are posted on dealers shops, Facebook pages, or websites
• Do not shake hands
• Communicate by phone, video conference or other electronic means when at all possible
• When in-person meetings or discussions are necessary, hold meetings in open, well-ventilated areas
• Carry your own food and water do not share or take food or beverages from others
• Carry hand sanitizer liquid or wipes and regularly disinfect surfaces of fishing gear, vehicles and other surfaces you contact
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
• If you feel symptoms associated with Coronavirus, fever, cough, shortness of breath, do not fish or sell, contact a medical provider, and self-isolate per CDC guidelines
• More information is available on the CDC website at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html